Sign in to follow this  
MadJeff

America's Newest Stealth Fighter...

Latest exclusive photo..

lol, thats still funny. Can't remember how long ago I saw it, but its pretty good.

You know during WWII they tried to make B-25's inivisible? Turned out, since you look for a dark spot in the sky when looking for aircraft, if you put lots of small lights along the front of the plane, it was impossible to see from even small distances. Definately gave the aircraft a lot of time to line up during the attack run.

Good foto, gave me a grin. Bet the Iraqis are thinkin its all too true right now, hehe.

SD, yur story reminded me of another early attempt at stealth in WW2. IIRC, it was the Brits who flew a number of aircraft thru searchlight beams, all painted different colors, to see which color hid the aircraft best at night. All the aircraft were spotted, including the one painted flat black, except for one. When the light battery commander asked where the plane was, they were told it had already flown thru. They had it fly thru the beam several times and never spotted it once. Its color? Gloss black, a color still used by spec ops and contraban runners to this day. Seems the light beams tend to reflect off the vehicle and dont cast a silohuette. Watch the shiny black cars and trucks on the streets at night. You'll notice that when they pass thru the shadows, they are more difficult to see distinctly. When I was overseas, when we pulled into Naples, Italy, While we were running liberty boats, we had to keep an eye out at night for the contraban boats. They were high performance boats painted glossy black. Generally, all you saw of them was a blue flame coming from their exhaust pipes and a little wake as they hydra-planed past you going very fast. Once in awhile they were followed by flashing red and blue lights... :lol: We heard later what cargo they were hauling that was so valuable to risk jail, care to guess? It wasnt drugs, at least not generally, it wasnt booze, it was cigerettes, US made cigarettes.

We had a Coast Guard CPO come and talk to my JROTC class. He said the most smuggled item into the U.S. is freon. A/C grade freon.

Oh, and this is a really dumb question, whats IIRC? Haven't been able to figure it out.

What are we looking at? :lol: