Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

Environment System Mod

img00006sn6.jpg

As promised on the FE forum at SimHQ, here's an alternative EnvironmentSystem.ini file that features a somwhat "bluer" sky color, increased sunlight and ambient light levels for a "warmer' appearance, and a correction in the file's latitude (the default has an incorrect value).

To install and use:

First, download and install Cellinsky's cloud mod, here:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autom...p;showfile=2723

Then, download the attached zip file, "FE ENVIRONMENTSYSTEM.ZIP" to your desktop, and extract the file contained within to the Program Files\ThirdWire\WWI\Flight folder, overwriting any existing environmentsystem.ini file when and if prompted. And that's all!

First, download and install Cellinsky's cloud mod...

Then, download "FE ENVIRONMENTSYSTEM.ZIP" and extract the file contained within to the Program Files\ThirdWire\WWI\Flight[/p] folder, overwriting any existing environmentsystem.ini file when and if prompted. And that's all!

Hello Fubar, I'm a little confused, and will try to explain why.

1) Cellinsky's Readme says to copy his zipped contents (which include several cloud files and an Environmentalsystem file) to the "\StrikeFighters\Flight\" folder. However, when I open the FirstEagles \Flight\ folder, there are no pre-existing cloud files nor an Environmentalsystem file to replace in that FE folder.

2) The First Eagles Environmentalsystem.dll file resides in the \System\ folder, but that folder also doesn't contain any cloud files to replace, and in fact, I can't find any cloud files in ANY folder in FE.

3) In your directions you state: "\WWI\Flight[/p] folder" and I'm not sure what the "[/p]" is about. I don't think it is important, but just asking when I don't understand for sure.

I'm probably just being overly cautious and perceiving illogical placement of these files, when in fact there is a good reason to do it as explained. I'm learning to implement these types of modifications for the first time and trying to understand why things are going where they do. It is really very interesting to be inside the game itself, and shape it to some degree. Thank you for you work, please let me know what's up.

The default versions of these files are stored in the various .cat files and are used by the game UNLESS there is a modified version in the folder outside the .cat file. When you add modified files to the folder game reads these first. You can revert back to the default files stored in the .cat file by simply deleting the modified folders. Leave the .DLL files where the are. I believe the [/p] is a typo and it should be [/b] as in bold. This is all probably as clear as mud, isn't it? :dntknw: I'm pretty sure everything pertaining to this mod goes in the Flight folder. :smile:

Thanks for the reply. I got it loaded, and the clouds and sky look amazing!!!

However, I also noticed when flying in overcast conditions, and perhaps it was at dawn, that the sky/clouds will flash most disturbing colors. Neon blue, magenta, etc... You may be aware of this. I started a thread over at Thirdwire with some screen caps, and another person posted a video link.

I love the mod, is there any way to rectify the "bug" if it can be called that...

Don't have a clue. :dntknw: I'm sure Fubar512 will help you get things sorted out, though.