Was reading through the campaign.ini files in WOE's default 1968 campaign last night and noted several USAF B-57B squadrons based at Laon airbase in France though the game has them re-locating to German fields for the campaign. After some brief checking, I found that there were no operational B-57B squadrons in USAFE in September 1968--the setting for the campaign. The field at Laon, France was also in the process of being closed by France's decision to withdraw from NATO's military alliance. I have updated the .ini files to replace these B-57B squadrons with RF-4C TRS units located initially at UK bases. I still need to update the skins for those squadrons to finalize the process, but I can upload the campaign ini files if anyone is interested.

Was reading through the campaign.ini files in WOE's default 1968 campaign last night and noted several USAF B-57B squadrons based at Laon airbase in France though the game has them re-locating to German fields for the campaign. After some brief checking, I found that there were no operational B-57B squadrons in USAFE in September 1968--the setting for the campaign. The field at Laon, France was also in the process of being closed by France's decision to withdraw from NATO's military alliance. I have updated the .ini files to replace these B-57B squadrons with RF-4C TRS units located initially at UK bases. I still need to update the skins for those squadrons to finalize the process, but I can upload the campaign ini files if anyone is interested.

Dude the campaign is fictional and in a war such as that, they would of deployed from the States. So anything is possible.

But wasn't most of the B57B fleet already retired around the early 60s with just a bunch of B57E target tugs, RB57E and EB57E kept flying? A few PAC bombers were deployed to SEA and there the last B57B were retired in 1968 due to airframe wear. The last B57 operationally deployed were B57G of 13th BS at UBON RTAF base from 1970-72.

There were some 40 B57 variants still listed in Af inventory in 1973, half and half RB57E and EB57E.

Yeah it's a fictional campaign but even then there should be an eye on facts up to the date the fiction starts.

S!

The only thing that I could think off would be that TK wanted to represent the USAF Reserve units and ANG units coming forward at the time of war. Or just to ease the building of the campaigns to represent other operations going on that the B-57 is filling in for. I have noticed that the Campaigns have gotten more and more complex since I started to look at the stock campaigns in SFP1/WOV/WOE. In SFP there was just a couple USAF, a USMC, USN and the merc flying against the red forces. Then in WOV there was a whole slew of USN, USMC, and USAF units going downtown depending on which time period you were playing. I think at the IP on a target one time I counted about 9 or 10 other groups all going downtown on a few other targets in the region and that was just on the US side. In WOE there was something like 15 or 16 groups airborne in the 1979 campaign that I was flying in a couple of nights ago.

I understand the want to be historically correct, but I would suggest that giving the game a break. The designers cheated a little to represent other actions against Soviet units by putting in those three B-57B squadrons.

But wasn't most of the B57B fleet already retired around the early 60s with just a bunch of B57E target tugs, RB57E and EB57E kept flying? A few PAC bombers were deployed to SEA and there the last B57B were retired in 1968 due to airframe wear. The last B57 operationally deployed were B57G of 13th BS at UBON RTAF base from 1970-72.

There were some 40 B57 variants still listed in Af inventory in 1973, half and half RB57E and EB57E.

Yeah it's a fictional campaign but even then there should be an eye on facts up to the date the fiction starts.

S!

Thanks! My original post and intention was only an attempt to make the historical fiction here a bit more historical. Having been alive at the time, I realize that all the campaigns are fictional.