Sign in to follow this  
herman01

Helicopter Flight

Is there a mod of some sort that will make helicopter add ons sf in flight more like that of helicopter than of a conventional aircraft. I saw a video of Cobra in SF on you tube and it flew like a helicopter.

You would need a totally new FM. That video was by Kreelin, and he along with capun and Fubar512 are (IMHO) the FM gurus. Keep in mind that the Skunkworks helicopters are set for normal FM. If you want, try setting the stall speed to zero and land between the tanks on a CAS mission. Lots of fun.

Not intentional if I left anyone out.

I knew I forgot someone.

Column5

and Streakeagle are also in the know on FM.

Streakeagle actually has an Aircraft Ini Data Editor which can edit FM too at:

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/sflores1/StrikeFighters.html

He also posted a lesson on FM editing at the Thirdwire forum:

http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3875

Edited by jtin

Yeah... Jtin is right. If you want to fly helos like helos, you need a specific FM. SFP1/WOV/WOE/FE are not adapted for real Helo flight dynamic (I hope sincerly it would be possible one day).

Now what you see on my youtube video is just a show of my WIP on helo's FM (and to tell how fun it wold be to fly a "real helo" in WOV). For now the FM is still crappy... I stopped the work cause I have less and less spare time and I finally stated out that it absolutely needs a game engine improvement if I want a decent result...

Edited by kreelin

Kreelin, would you mind posting or PM'ing me the FM? It looks to good to just give up.

Maybe in the next patch, TK'll add helicopter FM support. There must be something behind that little Cobra pic on the front page.

Now a proper helo flight model would be awesome, and certainly make Strike Fighters a pretty unique product.

Bump ...

I think that Kreelin's FM is the closest we have to a proper helo flight model right now...

:pilot:

It's coming (4 or 6 months :) ) .... I'm still working hard on it. But unfortunately I think I'll never manage to make something flyable by AI :(. So it would be for Human pilot and single mission only (no campaign)

Wessex in Recon

I'm not trying to rush you or anything :sorry:, it's good to know you're still working on it.

This is showing lots of promise! :good:

But unfortunately I think I'll never manage to make something flyable by AI :(. So it would be for Human pilot and single mission only (no campaign)

Yeah, I was thinking of making missions with extraction of infantry and stuff, where the hover would come in handy.

Doesn't the AI use a simplified flight model? Would it be possible to make a seperate flight model that the AI can handle?

Maybe, there can be one helicopter called Helo_AI, with the old FM so the AI can still use helicopters.