Sign in to follow this  
grumpapotamus

modeling in 3DSmax trial version

I have created a model but am having problems skinning/colouring. When I place the object into the terrain, it causes CTD when the view get close enough to it. I am using the trial version of 3DSmax 9. I can e-mail or post the max file if anyone cares to check it out and help me out.

It is a model of a Natural gas storage tank- good targets!

post-20208-1173839991_thumb.jpg

I have created a model but am having problems skinning/colouring. When I place the object into the terrain, it causes CTD when the view get close enough to it. I am using the trial version of 3DSmax 9. I can e-mail or post the max file if anyone cares to check it out and help me out.

It is a model of a Natural gas storage tank- good targets!

hey, how many days does this trial version give you to try it?

would you send it to my yahoomail as attachment(if below 10 mb,)

or give me the link to where to get it?

You can get an educational license for ~$200. Thats what I did, there are some benefits to being a poor college student, but I think anyone can get one, you just can't do anything commercial or payware with it :wink:

Guest capun

I believe the demo's are good for 30 days, once it expires you cannot just un-install it and re-install it.

They hide a key in the hard disk boot record, You can reformat the disk and re-install it but it is a pain.

Educational versions I believe are only good in the US, Canada maybe (I may be wrong). It's good for qualified students/teachers.

I think your $200 is only good for a year, the full educational version is about $500

Going back to the problem, I assume that you used's ThirdWire's Max9 LOD exporter, did you exported it with or withour decals?

Did you read the old exporter notes (you can find it here at the file library) for the specifications of the model? Like the material shader, type of geometry, animation, etc?

How did you paint the model? did you use a material map or just the built-in Max material colors?

Was the model a one piece mesh or multiple meshes properly linked? What is the poly count of the model, and the poly count of the biggest mesh (you can get the info from the OUT file).

Was the model properly scaled?

Does the model internal properties measurements match the Max Viewport measurements?

As you can see there is quite a few things that could screw up the model ingame

Edited by capun

Hello Capun,

Thanks for the help. I did read the old exporter notes, and I did convert it without decals. I collapsed the object into a single mesh.

As far as the poly count- I just see vertices and faces(3040/5656)- maybe this is the problem. !

I did get the object to appear in the game without crashing when I first finished, but the scale was off. I readjusted and it worked fine. The problem started when I tried to add colour/texturing. Reading the old exporter notes I found confusing, as they were written in 2001. I will keep at it, and hopefully get this resolved.

As for getting a student license- I hope art/design school alumni count! (might make paying off the student loan worthwhile)

Guest capun
Hello Capun,

Thanks for the help. I did read the old exporter notes, and I did convert it without decals. I collapsed the object into a single mesh.

As far as the poly count- I just see vertices and faces(3040/5656)- maybe this is the problem. !

I did get the object to appear in the game without crashing when I first finished, but the scale was off. I readjusted and it worked fine. The problem started when I tried to add colour/texturing. Reading the old exporter notes I found confusing, as they were written in 2001. I will keep at it, and hopefully get this resolved.

As for getting a student license- I hope art/design school alumni count! (might make paying off the student loan worthwhile)

I think you have too many faces on a single mesh. Actually if I remember the exchange with TK, it's the max number of vertices. Your numbers seem to be reversed, you should have more vertices than faces.

BTW, have you done the flightengine.ini changes? That should bump the max vertex count, but even that I think that ther game has a max vertex per mesh maximum. Break the model into separate meshes and link them. and see if they work.

[GraphicsSettings]

ZBufferDepth=24

MaxVertexCount=16384

MaxIndexCount=32768

MaxTextureCount=16384

MaxModelType=2048

MaxMeshPerScene=2048

MaxModelPerScene=4096

MaxLightPerScene=1024

AspectRatio=1.333333

MinPixelSize=1.0

And I think your student status should qualify for the educational version