Sign in to follow this  
hurricane3

Planes compatable?

I kinda slipped this in on a post in the WW1 part of the forum ,in my post on what sim should I buy and I don't think anyone noticed ,so here I go again.

Are the planes to download on this site compatable with the patch 2 forFirst Eagles?

I'am sorry if I should have not made this a new post but I would like to know if their compatable.

I'am very new to this moding thing and am a little nervious about it

Just ordered the boxed version fromStartup Softward Online so when I get it I'am sure I'll have more questions,but I'll try not to make a pest of myself. Thanks

I'm not aware of any that aren't compatable with Patch 2.

I kinda slipped this in on a post in the WW1 part of the forum ,in my post on what sim should I buy and I don't think anyone noticed ,so here I go again.

Are the planes to download on this site compatable with the patch 2 forFirst Eagles?

I'am sorry if I should have not made this a new post but I would like to know if their compatable.

I'am very new to this moding thing and am a little nervious about it

Just ordered the boxed version fromStartup Softward Online so when I get it I'am sure I'll have more questions,but I'll try not to make a pest of myself. Thanks

All the ones i have downloaded so far work perfectly with the new patch. In fact the only incompatability i have found is when i tried to use FEs stock aircraft in WOE. The downloaded aircraft work fine in WOE but not the default ones for some reason. This is really a non-issue since FE aircraft dont really belong in WOE anyway.

Since your new to modding you could not have picked a better Sim! TK makes all the Thirdwire games very easy to mod and you will quickly become comfortable making changes to make the sim do almost anything.

Welcome to the World of Thirdwire Sims!

Thankyou so much for answering my questions.As I said I'am a little nervious about moding but I think ,as you say I found the right place for help.

Thanks again

Maybe this should be a new post ,but I noticed in the readme file for patch 2 on Third Wires site that a bunch of ini files will be deleated.

What does that mean?Are these files (first time I ever heard of them) actually being deleated or just changed?If deleated how does the sim run without them?

Hope I didn't make a mistake buying this sim cause I'am confused about so many things,like adding aircraft that I can fly and how you do it. Thanks

The game stores most of its stock files in the .cat files. To alter things like the FM's of the stock planes, you have to extract the relevant .ini files from the .cat files and place them in the proper directory. The game then uses those .ini files over the ones stored in the .cat files.

When the game is patched, the .cat's are updated and the .ini's often change. To keep the game from flipping out because there's a prepatch .ini being used, the installer will delete those "stock" .ini's it finds lying around. That means if you still want to change the stock .ini's, you have to re-extract them again.

That's all there is to it.

The game stores most of its stock files in the .cat files. To alter things like the FM's of the stock planes, you have to extract the relevant .ini files from the .cat files and place them in the proper directory. The game then uses those .ini files over the ones stored in the .cat files.

When the game is patched, the .cat's are updated and the .ini's often change. To keep the game from flipping out because there's a prepatch .ini being used, the installer will delete those "stock" .ini's it finds lying around. That means if you still want to change the stock .ini's, you have to re-extract them again.

That's all there is to it.

Ok I think I've got it ,both files ,the new ones and old are there but to change the FM back on the stock planes you have to extract the oridginal ini file ,change it ,then delete the newly created file.Is that right?

Guest capun

Are you the same Hurricane3 posting at SimHQ that you cannot get to our site?

I have not seen any of your emails.

You need to send an email to

capun1950(at)yahoo(dot)com

You need to recompose the email address from the above line.

Ok I think I've got it ,both files ,the new ones and old are there but to change the FM back on the stock planes you have to extract the oridginal ini file ,change it ,then delete the newly created file.Is that right?

Almost...All you have to do to change back to the original file is delete the modified one. When you extract a file you are copying it. The original remains in the .cat file. The sim will find and read extracted files first and if it doesn't find one it will go to the .cat file and read the original. So you can muck around in the .ini files pretty much all you want to and not "break" anything that can't be "fixed" by deleting it. :biggrin: