Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

How I can create a new decal?

Hello!

I want to create a new decal for a new countrie, how I can made it? What format, size and palette? And then how Can I save and use it??

Thank's!

Attached, something similar to this

Imagen1.jpg

Guest Sony Tuckson

You need to make it a tga file, with an alpha channel (it's a layer added to an image file, that latter teels the game which area to show and which to hide)

now, to be more practical...

best way is to use photoshop

and then it seems the handling of alpha channel has evolved with versions

I use 7.0 and here is how it goes

create a new image (square) with a transparent background

copy the image you want to see as decal on it (only the part that should be visible thus)

then, just save as TGA , with the highest bit value, uncompressed (if this option appears)

With Paint shop pro, it only works untill version 7, nobody found the right way with newer versions (if somebody finds a way, please share it)

procedure is way more complicated, it implies more steps, but if you use PSP 7.0, I'll explain

Edited by Sony Tuckson

You need to make it a tga file, with an alpha channel (it's a layer added to an image file, that latter teels the game which area to show and which to hide)

now, to be more practical...

best way is to use photoshop

and then it seems the handling of alpha channel has evolved with versions

I use 7.0 and here is how it goes

create a new image (square) with a transparent background

copy the image you want to see as decal on it (only the part that should be visible thus)

then, just save as TGA , with the highest bit value, uncompressed (if this option appears)

With Paint shop pro, it only works untill version 7, nobody found the right way with newer versions (if somebody finds a way, please share it)

procedure is way more complicated, it implies more steps, but if you use PSP 7.0, I'll explain

THANK's!! Sony!!

and make sure the image is square!! ie: 128x128, 256x256, etc. Otherwise the warp and twist and just look funny.

How I make them is probably the longest way around (as per usual for me). This is for photshop 6, as I've just discovered the alpha/tga stuff is 7 seems to be broked.

1) Create bmp with image CENTERED

2) using the rectangualar marquee tool, outline the entire image (the FULL thing). "COPY" (control/C)

3) in the Channels panel, 'add alpha channel'

4) Paste (control/V) the copied image back in, then

5) control/I to invert.

6) turn on RGB section, to show the original colored background.

7) with the RGB and Alpha channels active, and the Alpha selected, used a paintbrush - in the Alpha channel ONLY, with the color white, paint the area you wish to show.

8) Save as, tga w/alpha, 32bits/pixel

that should do it. (told ya it was a long way around! I didn't even go in to the cut the image, paste back, flatten, and save - that will automatically center it.)

If I wasn't so lazy, I'd take some screenies of the process. (note to self: do so!!)

Wrench

Kevin STein

Be sure to leave seven or eight pixels between the image on the decal the edge... Don't want bleeding... :)

Guest Sony Tuckson

btw, Stratos has his decals.....;)