Sign in to follow this  
Guest Saganuay82

Book - Phantom Over Vietnam

Guest Saganuay82

By John Trotti. Anyone else read this? I am about 3/4 done now. I find it a different form of Vietnam story with the way he is quite technical in that he goes through all of the startups, in head fuel calculations and such. Not too much on the hitting of targets but more like how the strike would be done, speed angle, procedures etc. Interesting aspect also in most of my Vietnam reading was about AF Thuds and this is all Marines with the hot pad procedures.

Read this one a long time ago. Quite a good book actually...with insights not only about Vietnam, but about his time in the training command...

FastCargo

One of the best books I have ever read. He puts you right in the cockpit. Also, "My Secret War", written by a guy that flew A-1 Skyraiders (SPADS) in the war. He flew mostly at night, in storms, and this was another one that made you feel as though you were in the cockpit.

Guest Saganuay82

Yep, it just has that different style. Deals more with the parts of taking off, climbing, cruise and the route back. All little parts that mission makers for SFP1 can add in to fill in the blanks.

pretty sure that I've still got this - & that makes it overdue for a reread.

I've just finished "Thud Ridge" for a second time so I think I'll give this one a try. Sounds like a different type of book, and should be interesting.

Guest Saganuay82

Off to fly some of those missions finally.

VMFA312.jpg

Has anyone read the book Scream of Eagles? It tells u how Top Gun was formed during Vietnam when the kill ratio dropped to i believe 2:1 and how they taught ACM to increase the ratio to 18:1. I thought it was pretty good, i have read it about 10 times

I also read Phantom over vietnam, i thought it was an excellant book also, talked about all strikes as mentioned above and how there was very little to no MiG activity at that time.

read phantom over vietnam also. It was pretty good.

Chickenhawk, Low Level Hell, Taking Fire are good

"When Thunder Rolled" and "Palace Cobra" are also very good.