Been having an interesting time editing and flying the UCAVs around. I've restricted the bombbays so that they can only carry the amount of weapons that can realistically fit (which is NOT much...a standard Mk83 takes up a whole bay, and forget any PGMs over 1000 lbs in yield). AAMs are even worse...either one regular Sidewinder sized IRM, or you can just fit 3 aim-9x's in a bay. Now if I can figure out how to get them to drop out of the bay before they launch (without messing with the weapons themselves...I've already tried increasing the EjectVelocity parameter).

I added ECM, expendables, and a laser designator. Probably wouldn't have any of these in a real stealth shaped UCAV...but since stealth, GPS, and buddy lasing isn't really modeled, did this to increase the fun factor.

The interesting thing has been the cockpit. I decided to drop in the F-23 cockpit, but deleting the HUD glass, uprights, and canopy rail. I then increased the viewing area of the HUD symbology (why restrict the HUD to a piece of glass that isn't actually there).

Then I thought about it some more.

With modern 'smart skins', mini cameras, datalinks, and sensor fusion technology, there really isn't a reason for a UCAV operator to have a cockpit at all. For most missions, a laptop, and a mini HOTAS would suffice...with display symbology similar to SFP1/WOV/WOE on the easier gameplay settings with the no-cockpit view enabled.

The problem is what to do for ACM, where instant perception of nose position is everything. The trick is to be able to instantly resolve nose position without resorting to a TrackIR type solution (which is still not the same as craning your neck around).

An idea is being in a 'globe' with the world projected around you, even on the floor. All you would have is a chair, rudder pedals (maybe), and a HOTAS. The globe would be fully touchable as well (designate a target by just reaching out and selecting it). All relavant aircraft displays would be on projected translucently on the globe. The biggest thing would be to put markings on the globe designating the attitude of the aircraft. Something like looking at a globe of latitude and longitude lines, from the inside...maybe just abbreviated symbols. This would help prevent the disorientation that 'padlock' view sometimes gives.

Anyone want to try to build a UCAV 'pit'? :)

FastCargo

Edited by FastCargo

Guest Saganuay82

A UCAV pit? Make it look like a ground control station with a few monitors? :)

Is there a UCAV somewhere?

EDIT: Never mind, I just found it. Nice work USAFMTL, and I see that the skunkworks are really secretive. :wink:

I was thinking about a UCAV pit too (after seeing wsspnt's wip pics) and why don't you have a simple HUD with just no cockpit at all. Sort of like what the Predator would see with the camera under the nose. To snap to the nose, you'll just press F1. Is that what you're talking about?

Edited by jtin

Not really, and here's why. What about radar info? Sniper pod video, etc. Now that stuff doesn't need to be in the immediate view, it would be easier to overlay it on the outside world then building a virtual pit.

As we all know, padlock view through a traditional monitor is disorientating, and not conductive to ACM. Instead by sitting a projected globe, your internal sense keeps a general idea of where the nose is at...as in a real aircraft.

Now realize, I'm talking about a way to operate a real UCAV for an ACM situation. The nice thing about this setup is you could look down or straight back...because there is no real floor.

Of course, how do you make a sim of a sim...:)

FastCargo

Yeah, in ACM the overlaid radar would be useful... for once. :biggrin:

I know TW has created USAF: Air Dominace, and it features the predator, and I also know that some people here have played it. I wonder how it works there?

UCAV'S? I have no idea what you are talking about.