Sign in to follow this  
drdoyo

Enemy detection range

Hey all, I've been busy learning a new airplane at work. I remember seeing a few weeks ago something about modding the range at which the enemy is detected, but can't seem to find the thread,.....or any serious replies in the thread I did stumble on. :blink:

I've actually hit the frustration wall with having bandits within 10 miles of my flight, and not being to find them due to Red Crown not seeing them because I'm not painting them with my radar. I havn't really wanted to do this, but how can I mod the detection system so I can see the bandits within a certain distance (either visually, or electronically)

Thanks, for some,....ehem, serious answers this time :biggrin:

Thats weird....

I've always had rather accurate info from Red Crown despite not even purposly looking for MIGs. Perhaps that is a quirk while flying pure fighter ops?

Thanks tn_prvteye!! That was what I was looking for.

----I've always had rather accurate info from Red Crown despite not even purposly looking for MIGs. Perhaps that is a quirk while flying pure fighter ops?----

Well, my experiance in campaign reguardless of what type I'm flying (F-14/FA-18/A-6/F-4E,B,J/F-15C/F-16C/F-8D which I regularly fly in campaigns) is if some flight isn't painting bandits on their radar, or usually more commonly with the AI in direct visual contact with a flight Red Crown won't call them at all.

You can notice this with the radar. Set it to 200 miles and red crown will call the contact as soon as the contact is on your radar, but then will not update the information on the already called contact no matter how often you inquire. Whatever range your radar is set to is the maximum distance from you Red Crown will detect the enemy flights and call them out to you. Plus I've noticed if I'm not painting a contact even just outside the 5 mi visual range that Red Crown will say "clear, nothing in your area". That has gotten very annoying with me especially in more modern campaigns (I realize this engine was designed for a 60's/70's capability). Now try that on an earlier aircraft with very limited radar. Even in Viet Nam we had modified Constallations with airborn radar to warn of approaching enemy flights. As someone said in another thread, AEW "almost" doesn't exist in the series in it's present state.

Off to modify my ini's :good:

Edited by drdoyo

Thats weird....

I've always had rather accurate info from Red Crown despite not even purposly looking for MIGs. Perhaps that is a quirk while flying pure fighter ops?

I wouldn't really call the info accurate. :wink:

Because when Red Crown says something about "50 miles" it often turns out that those MIGs are actually way over 150 miles away....

And I wouldn't be surprised if this info comes from other friendly groups operating in the area.