Sign in to follow this  
nele

MiG-27D "Dasha" modded .ini files

Allrighty, then! This is modded MiG-27Dxxx.ini set of files that brings it closer to the specs. The mod is for Mig-27D by wpnssgt, ghostrider, gepard, usafmtl, bib and moonjumper.

I don't have the manual of the bird, but what I did was following:

1. MiG-27 now uses aerodynamics based on one of MiG-23ML. ALL Floggers share same aerodynamics. I know some think that it should be "M", but this way it covers both MiG-27M and MiG-27D models (More "Emkas", or "M" models, have lerx extensions, and both have better SOUA like ML). Practically, the types are interchangeable and differ only a little.

2. Engine is modded from MiG-23M. The real R-29B has additional "airflow stabilizer" compressor fan for low-level flight and fixed intakes, that works fine to about 5,000m. It gets short of breath above that altitude and practical ceiling is about 15,600m. I simply shortened alitudetabledata and wetmachtable data of R-29, as I don't have the chart, but it is close enough (crude, but efficient).

3. A little modded bombload. As per request of the author, I have left LGB's but they were -not- part of normal inventory. Klen-PM TV/laser designator cannot track target to the rear (only MiG-23K "Kaira" can). On the real thing, rear-mounted bombs MUST be released first or CG can go awry at low speeds, and must be released in pairs. Therefore, you can drop LGB's, but only in pairs...

4. Klen TV/laser designator has been brought (close) within the specs. It is also renamed to Klen-PM (as the letter "M" means "Mikoyan", whereas "S" in Klen-PS means "Sukhoi" mounted in Su-17M), although it is really one the same thing in practice. It is not bad, but has -narrow- FOV intended for LGM's (unlike "Kaira" that is closer to something between Pave Tack and Pave Spike-by performance but onboard!!!).

5. ECM has been "cut" by power. Flares re-instated (since there are no chaff/flare launchers as armament option :sorry::( ).

6. Optics installed for EOGR. Those are separate from Laser Designator on MiG-27K/M/D.

7. Aircraft mission set to "Attack". Sorry, but MiG-27 is not a fighter :sorry: . It has a backup role, was tested in that role, but lack (of any, cannon or missile!) track/guidance system of airborne targets restics it heavily, although performance allows combat (i.e. for self-defense).

8. Gunsight fixed in A-A role. Entire cockpit actually needs rework with TV-display installed and A-G targeting.

9.Armament allowed size/bombload little modified.

10. Cockpit armor strengthened. It is titanium, actually quite heavy installation.

The version "D" is a modification of serial-produced MiG-27 (without any letter) that brings it to tactical capability of MiG-27M. It is to solve the original problem when MiG-23BM (MiG-27) was introduced. The basic model only had a laser rangefinder "FON" (next to bombing computer). While cannon installation proved to be somewhat troublesome (vibration), it was extremely precise (to the point that test-pilots would do a selective "plinking" with it :grin::) . It had a good bombload and navigation system, but good guided weapon system left to be desired.

As the Soviet military doctrine changed to more aggressive one in 70's, MiG-27 got perhaps the most sophisticated (if not advanced) device installed -inside- in such, rather small tactical aircraft-the "Kaira". It was TV/Laser/computer/navigation system that could guide TV and laser guided missiles (and LGB's) onto the target. One could only compare it to the sort of built-in LANTRIN (in 1976!). Before it, earlier version was installed in Tupolev antiship-bomber(!) and in Su-24. It had good navigation system and a digital computer for precise bombing with "iron" bombs. Night IR A-G system, however, was never part of it (only "normal", enhanced vision TV).

While miniaturization was sucessful, its mass remained high; to keep MiG-27K at the same weight, side armor (pilot) had to be removed. Also, it was hard to maintain and initially had short TBF. It was also extremely expensive, and its tactical ability was a little bit too much for "common" fighter-bomber commander (one could say that "pure" MiG-27 was to kill soldiers and tanks, and MiG-27K officers and command vehicles-a sort of a supersonic spec-op :grin:: ). "Kaira" was never exported. Also, "Kaira" was actually first-tested in MiG-prototype and "tuned" exclusively by MiG technicians and test-pilots. Because of bueraucratic issues, official An-24 testbed with "Kaira" and diagnostic equipment arrived after they completed the tests!

The logical step were MiG-27M and MiG-27D analogues. The main difference is that MiG-27D were reequipped "pure" MiG-27's, and MiG-27M's were new. Other main difference was the different factory (MiG-27M Ulan-Uda, MiG-27D Irkutsk). They also got lerx extension (serve the same purpose as lerx cuts on MiG-23MLD) and some models were retrofitted with BVP-50-60 passive jammer ejectors (same installation like on MiG-23MLD).

The main operational difference between MiG-27M/D and MiG-27K was that its "Klen-PM" Laser/TV system could not guide LGB's onto target (as it could not track it to the rear). It also had a little less detection/track range, and HUD was more simple. But it had same weight -and- armor, it was cheaper, more reliable and better sevicable. As the Su-24 had "Kaira" (plus radar mapping) and was buit in relatively large numbers, the dismissal of LGB option was not considered important.

Another main user of MiG-27 series is/was-India. IAF actually preffered installation of more economical AL-21F-3 engine, but Sukhoi got entire production for its Su-17 and -24 models (the engine was "cleared" for export by then). It had simplified PrNK-44L instead PrNK-23M system. It is now exchanged for Western avionics, and there was contemplation of exchanging the engine for much less thirsty Al-31.

Both MiG-27M and MiG-27K were not much successfull in Afghanistan-high temperatures negated meaningful bombload (engine adjusted for low-level ride), high altitudes drove the targeting systems (made for plains) at the edge of usefulness. Also, there were almost no targets that could/should be precisely bombed to begin with! It is actually natural that "pure" fighter, MiG-23MLD was more sucessfull-it had higher operational altitude, higher T/W ratio, and-a greater bombload at such high altitudes/temperatures. Also, its systems were optimized for TV/laser guided missiles-not bombs. Their use in Afghanistan was scarce.

In mid 90's, MiG-27's were scrapped for Russian inventory and "utilitized" (read: cut into pieces... :crazy: ), even the mighty "Kairas". As the later conflict in Chechenya showed-it was foolish decision. Su-24 was too big, vunerable and specialized for pre-determined high-value targets, Su-25 was too small and slow and had no standoff weapons for strongpoints and heavily defended targets. Neither could "mix" it in one sortie or target. MiG-27 would have been ideal, but-there was none...

A set of modded .ini files is in MiG-27D_ini.zip here MiG_27D_ini.zip . Unpack and extract into existing aircraft/object/MiG-27D directory. Backup your files first!!!

There is another spinoff, it is, you guessed it-a MiG-27K. Its main difference here is that it has weaker side armor and no decoys (being an early version, later it got some basic installation). However, it can guide LGB's-truth is, you can guide it with "D" flying with much more restricted pattern (12 deg FOV, 30 deg gimble limit compared to 40 deg FOV 130 deg limit). The real thing also had better HUD and simbiology than "D"-I roughly modded the cockpit by implementing some "Jaguar" avionics for CCIP (for home use-sorry...), when the fun on the front really begins (as it is faster than anything in the West that carries FLIR of that time-bar F-4!).

MiG-27K separate installation 1. Make MiG-27K directory, copy files from MiG-27D directory, copy files from mig_27K_ini.zip into directory.

(I have home a quick, low-res "kaira green" repaint, and different colorization the nose underside. The nose of K is actually totally different from D/M, but repaint works fine).

MiG-27K -instead- MiG-27D installation (uses MiG-27D files): backup MiG-27D, copy files mig-27D into K_ini.zip mig_27D_into_K_ini.zip.

P.S. if somebody can "paint" CCIP of "K" into Su-17 "setka" color, I would appreaciate it-as well as adjust them a little , so I could put this into download section (as well as to put cockpit down, or a seat up bit-MiG-27 has better front view than "23", sights are more/less at OK place but pilot is too low...). Here, they use "default" systems from WOE to keep Su-17 cockpit folder intact, and I am not expert in cocpit modelling without actually changing it...

Hope you enjoy it,

Nele

Nice Work nele!!!!

Looks like one of my WIPS is cross off :biggrin:

Not necessarily :smile: . I have basically "equalized" it with fighter series, adding some (quite reliable) data specific for MiG-27. If going to be a nitpick, "M" model should have extended lerxes, and "K" needs entirely different nose. But it is really nitpicking.

The main problem is the cockpit-I have made just a quick "addon" of what is neccesary on MiG-27 (CCIP, EOG, LG). And I tried not to touch existing Su-17 cockpit.

If somebody would teach me how to "colourize" HUD hairs into "setka orange" colours and to drop cockpit a little, -without- interfering the cockpit itself, would help... it would not solve the display problem (as there is none), but would make it much more useful.

Nele

Nele-

I really appreciate your work and enjoy flying your birds. :good: At bit harder to fly than earlier FM's, and it makes surviving in them even more difficult. They do seem to bleed energy a lot faster! Now only if we could convince you to tighten up the FM's of the NATO aircraft so everyone would be flying on the "same sheet of music". :wink:

If somebody would teach me how to "colourize" HUD hairs into "setka orange" colours

Don't know much about dropping the cockpit (other then maybe adjusting it's height in the cockpit ini???), but changing the color of the sight should be pretty easy, it's just a tga w/alpha channel

Open the setka.tga in whatever image program you've got that handles tga w/alpha, like photoshop. In the layers/channels window, set to 'channels' you should see the 3 rgbs and the alpha. Selecting the RGB, you can paint 'under' the alpha any color you want. I kinda think of the alpha as a 'hold-out matte', like they used to use for movie special effects; it only shows through on the parts 'open' (in this case, the sight grid).

Save and close. It should work.

(just to note, I've done this several times for decals, and vehicle reskins that have the radar grid)

Wrench

kevin stein

For Nicholas: I just adjusted FM to correspond "my" MiG-23 modded ini's. So, it is basically just the engine change, reducing of Vmax, adjusting weight and slight swing-wing adjustment to MiG-23ML. I intended to "push" entire series to the "new" class (F-16A, MiG-21F, SMB-2...). Try it against StreakEagle's F-4B. 23/27 bleeds speed a lot, but I tried it also in "normal" mode and it looks ok with me. Like with StreakEagle's F-4B, it requires change of habits :biggrin:

Wrench: hm, it is opposite what I wanted to do :smile: . I would like too keep cockpit folder intact and paint HUD in orange, as I used "default" HUD elements for WOE (i.i. the load from .CAT files). And to drop cockpit a little from main 27cockpit.ini file, as MiG-27 has dropped nose for that reason. Pilot sits quite tall both in MiG-23 and MiG-27, but because of radar cone the rule of droping bombs on 23 fighter series is "when target vanishes under the nose-drop!" -23BN and -27, OTOH have excellent downward visibility.

Also, I am not clear with the HUD boundaries, as the HUD elements are all over the place :smile: .

Nele

For Nicholas: I just adjusted FM to correspond "my" MiG-23 modded ini's. So, it is basically just the engine change, reducing of Vmax, adjusting weight and slight swing-wing adjustment to MiG-23ML. I intended to "push" entire series to the "new" class (F-16A, MiG-21F, SMB-2...). ....

Thanks alot for that... I really appreciate your (huge) work. It would be great if you also have on your todo list the Mig17 and 19 :biggrin:

Edited by kreelin

It would be great if you also have on your todo list the Mig17 and 19 :biggrin:

A hearty second to that request - these planes need a "reality check" :biggrin:

A hearty second to that request - these planes need a "reality check" :biggrin:

There's a MiG-17F flight model in the downloads section that was created using data from the USAF's "Have Drill" evaluation performed at Groom Lake during the late 1960's. It even exhibits wing warping and loss of pitch authority at the proper indicated air speed.

There's a MiG-17F flight model in the downloads section

Thanks Fubar! Wondering how I missed that, as I use your MiG21 FM :dntknw:

You got me wrong a bit :smile: . By "new class" I meant "Flogger" series. You see, one needs more than pilot manual to "design" these. I have -aerodynamics- manual for "Flogger" and "Foxbat", and there are necessary details in MiG-29-12 and Su-27SK manuals that I also have :biggrin: .

Unfortunately, one cannot use -pilot- manual of MiG-17,19,21 that I also have, since they are more about procedures than about aircraft.

I also made one omission that should be noted by all MiG FM designers; stab/elevator tail actuators are angled almost as the leading edge of the stabilizer, and carry load deep into the airframe (almost ingenious solution!) That means that stab turns almost in 3-d and there is a tangential correction to the airflow in the "Flogger" manual (in very small letters!). Changing it would mean that I have to re-tweak entire model, I am not that keen doing it soon, but I did it proprtly for "Foxbat" demonstrator FM. This goes for all MiGs starting from 21 upwards. Explains why rear fuselage is so slim on Fishbed and Flogger :biggrin:

...I also made one omission that should be noted by all MiG FM designers; stab/elevator tail actuators are angled almost as the leading edge of the stabilizer, and carry load deep into the airframe (almost ingenious solution!) That means that stab turns almost in 3-d and there is a tangential correction to the airflow in the "Flogger" manual (in very small letters!). Changing it would mean that I have to re-tweak entire model, I am not that keen doing it soon, but I did it proprtly for "Foxbat" demonstrator FM. This goes for all MiGs starting from 21 upwards. Explains why rear fuselage is so slim on Fishbed and Flogger :biggrin:

Interesting info... I figured it out on the Mig29 but didn't know for the 21 ;)

Have you any infos why Mikoyan's engineer used this kind of kinetics ? I presume it reduces the drag but what about the momentum...

It was both because of "packaging" and aerodynamics. It leaves more lateral space, for starters. Loads are carried deeper into the airframe, and both 21 and 23 have steel main bearing construction in the middle/rear (that carries wings and engine). It gives more space, and entire tail can be lighter since actual carrying structure is much more to the forward (and already carries the wing and engine). So it is one construction that carries almost everything, other parts are just attached to it :biggrin: .

There is actually no penalty at all, except hyd boosters have to be somewhat more powerful and rotating parts stronger. That had to be invented by one heck of engineer, knowing 3-d physics dynamics and behavior of steel constructions and being able to merge it :biggrin: