Sign in to follow this  
Arrigo

System requirements and advice needed

I know that i'ts silly, but I have noticed that every internet vendor and website )(to not speaking of magazines) has a differente set of system requirement. Until now I have put Legacy on buying hold both for that treaosn and for the not so nice reviews read... but the trekkie inside me wants this game and now it has finally reached a reasonable price... so...

1) what are system requirements (I have a P4 2ghx, 1gb RAM, GeForrce 6600GT 128)

2) the patches have solved the problems?

3) Controls are configurable (I am left handed and my PC station is caters ot that... mouse on the left so using WASD instead of arrows is a pain...)

thanks in advance

Arrigo

I know that i'ts silly, but I have noticed that every internet vendor and website )(to not speaking of magazines) has a differente set of system requirement. Until now I have put Legacy on buying hold both for that treaosn and for the not so nice reviews read... but the trekkie inside me wants this game and now it has finally reached a reasonable price... so...

1) what are system requirements (I have a P4 2ghx, 1gb RAM, GeForrce 6600GT 128)

2) the patches have solved the problems?

3) Controls are configurable (I am left handed and my PC station is caters ot that... mouse on the left so using WASD instead of arrows is a pain...)

thanks in advance

Arrigo

I read the Box in the store... Legacy requires a minimum of a 2.8GHz processor.

Video is debatable... most likely your GeForce card will run it. You might want to consider getting a 256 or 512MB video card.

First, your system.

For Legacy, your processor and graphics cards are low, your processor is definitely below the minimum, and your graphics card would be around the minimum. You might still be able to run Legacy, but it will be slow and choppy, especially on the larger and more graphically-intense maps. I'd recommend upgrading your processor and your video card if you're going to get Legacy.

As for controls, there is no in-game control configuration, so you can't customize the controls like you can with most games. The controls can still be customized, but you have to manually edit the control file (if you'd like, I can put together a modified control file for you, just let me know which keys you want where). There is a program out there that allows you to edit the controls outside of Legacy, without having to manually edit the file, but the last version I looked at still couldn't change the mouse controls (though that was a while ago, it might have changed by now).

As for bugs... Legacy has its share of them, but most of the 'bugs' I've seen reported have to do with system incompatabilities, not actual errors in the game (a lot of people have tried playing the game on below-spec or unsupported hardware, and have cried bug when in fact it is their own system that's causing the problem). There are still bugs in the game, but most of them are not gameplay related (the starlines glitch on some maps, especially with smaller ships, so that you get trails of stars following you around, and other similar bugs). The biggest bug in the game is the nacelle bug, which is caused by the 1.1 and 1.2 patches. In the unpatched version of the game, your nacelles get blown off when you take enough damage to your engines, but in the 1.1 patch, the nacelles will get blown off, but they'll still be there (i.e., you see a duplicate nacelle/pair of nacelles fly off, without loosing the originals), though your warp drive still suffers from the loss. In the 1.2 patch, the problem supposedly got worse, in that the nacelles would blow off but you wouldn't loose warp (though I have yet to witness that myself). The patches are focused primarily on fixing mutli-player issues, and in that, they do a reasonably good job, but outside of multiplayer, there isn't much they change.

Anyway, bugs (most of which are trivial) and hardware requirements aside, Legacy is a pretty decent game, it's not game of the year (at least, not out of the box), but it is a fun game, and the mods improve the game 100 fold or more, easily. Since you're getting it for PC, I strongly recommend downloading the mods, especially the big Total Conversion mods, like TLG, UUM and Trek Battles, they all drastically improve the game.

i have to whole heartedly agree with ilithi the mods do make it better much better

i have to whole heartedly agree with ilithi the mods do make it better much better

Yup. And, at least as far as TLG is concerned, there's a LOT more to come.

Hi and thanks for the replies...

in the end I have wanted to test it myself and grabbed my bike gone to a friend house and in pure Starfleet security manner persuaded him that we need to confiscate that merchandise for security reasons :rolleyes: and after return to my home tested it... ok I have done only first mission but the game is running smoothly (maybe the 1gb RAM is wokring miracle) even in battle. That and the fact that at the end of summer I will have to buy a laptop and it will be safely beyond specs... I will buy the game. Now I ma experimenting with my friend copy for some days, after that I will take the kind offer to remap command beacuse my left handed desk is a nightmare... (the funny thing is that I am ambidextrous to the envy of family and friends, but I have created for several reasons a lefthand desk layout... :cool: )

Arrigo

after that I will take the kind offer to remap command beacuse my left handed desk is a nightmare...

Just send me a list of what commands you want assigned to what keys, and I'll get you a modified file.

man that would be nice sept i'll ask you to tell me how you know kinda like teaching a man how to fish :)

man that would be nice sept i'll ask you to tell me how you know kinda like teaching a man how to fish :)

Sure, it's simple, just open up your main Legacy folder and find the file "Input.map" That has all the keyboard controls, and it's pretty much straight forward from there. The patched version doesn't have mouse controls listed in it, but if you've got a copy of the out-of-the-box version of the file, they're in there and you can just C&P as necessary.