Sign in to follow this  
xpublius

Newbie inquires as to latest, and best, patching

Greetings all,

I have a copy of SFP:1 from ebay freshly installed. I want to use the modified content, and I was wondering what was the best way to procede. I downloaded the Generic Mod Enabler, and the "Readme" advised to patch up to the latest, as this will be the benchmark.

Thanks

Guest Saganuay82

Generic Mod Enabler? Got a link for that?

Generic Mod Enabler? Got a link for that?

Must admit that's a new 1 on me too ...

First check what versioj you are at - botom rh of the start up screen.

Assuming that it has a date earlier than the following first apply SP v05.15.06 & then Patch v08.30.06

Must admit that's a new 1 on me too ...

First check what versioj you are at - botom rh of the start up screen.

Assuming that it has a date earlier than the following first apply SP v05.15.06 & then Patch v08.30.06

http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html

The Generic Mod enabler. I've never used it; just following the instrcutions of the author of the Middle East wars v11 readme; I am not responsible.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html

The Generic Mod enabler. I've never used it; just following the instrcutions of the author of the Middle East wars v11 readme; I am not responsible.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

I installed V05.15.06, it would not let me install the other patch, which is designed for WOE. The program won't support my thrustmsater joystick Fox 2, and immediately crashes back to desktop after less than a second. Thanks.

I installed V05.15.06, it would not let me install the other patch, which is designed for WOE. The program won't support my thrustmsater joystick Fox 2, and immediately crashes back to desktop after less than a second. Thanks.

I tried a uninstall/Reinstall, and now I cannot reinstall: there is an error which indicates a"An I/O Error Corrupt media." Even though I have been running the game fine between patches. The disk is clean and in good condition. Thanks

Edited by xpublius

Hmm not a good sign - Did you remove it using Add/Remove programs and have you removed the game folder completely from where you installed it to?

Does your drive recognise any files on the CD - and are your other CD's working in the drive ok?

Hmm not a good sign - Did you remove it using Add/Remove programs and have you removed the game folder completely from where you installed it to?

Does your drive recognise any files on the CD - and are your other CD's working in the drive ok?

I have run other CDs on that drive. I Tried using uninstall, and when I had the issue I hunted down every Strike fighters file I could find, and deleted them.

Thanks

So when you removed it using Add/Remove programs did the uninstaller appear to run successfully?

If you put the Strike Fighters disk into the drive can Windows see the files on that disk - As in: Open "My Computer" then right click on the CD drive and select "Explore". Does windows list any files?

Check the bottom of the disk and make sure there are no smudge / finger marks on it also.

So when you removed it using Add/Remove programs did the uninstaller appear to run successfully?

If you put the Strike Fighters disk into the drive can Windows see the files on that disk - As in: Open "My Computer" then right click on the CD drive and select "Explore". Does windows list any files?

Check the bottom of the disk and make sure there are no smudge / finger marks on it also.

Hey,

Thanks for your attention and pains.

I have cleaned the disk four times with glass cleaner, and the contents of the CD appear on explore. It did seem to uninstall, and I deleted all the other files left behind.

Let me tell you this strange thing: When I unintalled it somehow uninstalled my joystick, which I restored in the control panel, so disregard that. The CD/ROM will play video and music, and will run games already installed, but I cannot install anyting new; I've tried a three seperate programs. Somehow I think my ininstall zapped my CD/ROM drivers. Have you seen anything like this before?

I was thinking of reinstalling the drivers.

Thanks.

Edited by xpublius

Not personally though anythings possible - Operating Systems can be so fragile.

There should be no harm in uninstalling then reinstalling the drives drivers based on what you have told me (restart the PC in between this procedure).

If you have your Windows XP disk then you should be able to run "sfc /scannow" from the command line (or just type it into the run box) - this checks the XP system files.

Then run checkdisk, and defrag your Hdrive

I will also say to check the manufacturers knowledge base or website in case there is a simple fix for this!

If that doesnt work (and you are using XP/Vista) then you may want to see if you have a recent restore point to go back to.

A final option is running a registry cleaner like CCleaner (be very careful with this though!)

Edited by CoolHand29