Sign in to follow this  
firehawkordy

Any Good Anime Lately?

Just started on Gunslinger Girl and Full Metal Panic TSR. And I'm waiting for RahXephon to arrive. If you want a total mind "F", get Neon Genesis I spent all day the 4th watching it. It started out like a normal series and the story just started twisting and growing darker as it went. By the time it was over I didn't know if the main character had been dreaming or not. And I still have to get the end movies for this so I can be more damaged.

Just started on Gunslinger Girl and Full Metal Panic TSR. And I'm waiting for RahXephon to arrive. If you want a total mind "F", get Neon Genesis I spent all day the 4th watching it. It started out like a normal series and the story just started twisting and growing darker as it went. By the time it was over I didn't know if the main character had been dreaming or not. And I still have to get the end movies for this so I can be more damaged.

The NG movies are a bit confusing as well. I hate the main character, he's sooo whiny and annoying. Wish one of the girls just slap some sense in him. Yeah it maybe his father's fault but god BE A MAN AND STAND UP for once. Err sorry for the mini rant ;). I'm watching RahXephon on ANOD and few others. On SCIFI Channel I'm watching Noein and Tokko. They're quite different in style and story writing. So how are you liking GG? :)

Falcon

The NG movies are a bit confusing as well. I hate the main character, he's sooo whiny and annoying. Wish one of the girls just slap some sense in him. Yeah it maybe his father's fault but god BE A MAN AND STAND UP for once. Err sorry for the mini rant ;). I'm watching RahXephon on ANOD and few others. On SCIFI Channel I'm watching Noein and Tokko. They're quite different in style and story writing. So how are you liking GG? :)

Falcon

Instead of my usual play one after another episode, I'm actually making this one last. It's sticking close to the manga but it's adding depth to the characters at the same time.

As for the lead in NG, yeah he's whinny, but he starts out defeated and for him it goes downhill from there. What makes it work is that the show focuses on the supporting cast more than Shinji. The really tragic one is Asuka, not being able to work as a team mate and then slowly losing it. I think that instead of getting slapped by the girls Misato should really make a man out of him. If you haven't read it yet checkout Neon Genesis, Angelic Days. It's an alternative universe to the classic NG, and Shinji & Asuka do hook up.

Instead of my usual play one after another episode, I'm actually making this one last. It's sticking close to the manga but it's adding depth to the characters at the same time.

As for the lead in NG, yeah he's whinny, but he starts out defeated and for him it goes downhill from there. What makes it work is that the show focuses on the supporting cast more than Shinji. The really tragic one is Asuka, not being able to work as a team mate and then slowly losing it. I think that instead of getting slapped by the girls Misato should really make a man out of him. If you haven't read it yet checkout Neon Genesis, Angelic Days. It's an alternative universe to the classic NG, and Shinji & Asuka do hook up.

Agree with Asuka, I forgot her slow nerve breakdown. Is Misato the dark haired gal? If so.. well you hafta see the first movie. She says something very interesting to Shinji ;)

I'll pick up the NG manga after I finish the GG Manga series. I am beginning to really like RahXephon, it just rocks!

Falcon

Agree with Asuka, I forgot her slow nerve breakdown. Is Misato the dark haired gal? If so.. well you hafta see the first movie. She says something very interesting to Shinji ;)

I'll pick up the NG manga after I finish the GG Manga series. I am beginning to really like RahXephon, it just rocks!

Falcon

So much for the interesting thing she says, considering what happens X-|.

But yea FMP is a pretty good series, although Fumoffu kind of threw me off a bit. Honestly I watch a lot of stuff on YT and haven't bought much dvd's at the store. I'd say check out "The Wallflower"(look it up on wiki).. its a hilarious comedy about 4 pretty boys trying to make some gothic wannabe "ugly" girl into a princess like lady.

Busou Renkin is a good show that's alchemy based, in a sense. And Kiba is pretty interesting considering it's based off a card-trading game. And it's not too kiddy such as Yu-Gi-Oh.

I first got started with Gundam SEED, then of course came SEED Destiny and Stargazer, amongst others of the Gundam Franchise, though I must admit of the U.C. era what I prefer is classic combat stuff like 8th MS Team, MS Igloo and Stardust Memory. Moving on I also had to see Macross Zero and DYRL, and Super Robot Wars Original Generation was fun, though I must say I'm really not into the phantasy aspects of the mecha animes. Still have to see L.Gaim, Blue Gender and VOTOMS, though Fafner is a bit too melodramatic... I must say I'm curious about the new Gundam storyline and timeline that is coming soon...

So much for the interesting thing she says, considering what happens X-|.

Erhmm, you realized that you just spoiled it for him don't you? :rolleyes:

Falcon

I first got started with Gundam SEED, then of course came SEED Destiny and Stargazer, amongst others of the Gundam Franchise, though I must admit of the U.C. era what I prefer is classic combat stuff like 8th MS Team, MS Igloo and Stardust Memory. Moving on I also had to see Macross Zero and DYRL, and Super Robot Wars Original Generation was fun, though I must say I'm really not into the phantasy aspects of the mecha animes. Still have to see L.Gaim, Blue Gender and VOTOMS, though Fafner is a bit too melodramatic... I must say I'm curious about the new Gundam storyline and timeline that is coming soon...

Blue Gender is very good so is VOTOMs. Although I haven't seen all of VOTOMs. The DVDs are hard to fine though, especially the box sets. Another good mecha anime IMHO is Gasaraki (I might misspelled it). Its kinda weird but enjoyable.

I hope not the new GUNDAM series is just a re-hash like GUNDAM SEED. IMHO GS was like the original 70's series.

Falcon

Erhmm, you realized that you just spoiled it for him don't you? :rolleyes:

Falcon

Only mildly, and mostly to fire up his imagination to find out X-). No harm no foul, besides there are many ways to take that statement.

X-).. i fell victim to that statement and it went completely opposite of what I expected.

Oh and Im still trying to go back and watch the original Gundam series, but I just can't help to laugh and get bored at the dub acting (not that I hate dub but since this was made in the 80's.. well you get the idea) I just can't seem to watch more than 1 episode a week or month. I have yet to watch ANY of the other series but have GS and Destiny in my collection.

The only mech anime I've watched recently is Eureka Seven, FMP, and atm Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, and maybe a few other's I can't name off the top of my head.

Only mildly, and mostly to fire up his imagination to find out X-). No harm no foul, besides there are many ways to take that statement.

X-).. i fell victim to that statement and it went completely opposite of what I expected.

Oh and Im still trying to go back and watch the original Gundam series, but I just can't help to laugh and get bored at the dub acting (not that I hate dub but since this was made in the 80's.. well you get the idea) I just can't seem to watch more than 1 episode a week or month. I have yet to watch ANY of the other series but have GS and Destiny in my collection.

The only mech anime I've watched recently is Eureka Seven, FMP, and atm Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, and maybe a few other's I can't name off the top of my head.

Heh, yeah it threw me to a loop too. About dubs in Anime, I find most of dubs were bad in 80's and 90's. Nowadays they are getting better except for minor word changes. When watching anime though, I tend to watch the sub versions. I find the original Japanese voice actors have more emotion in their characters than their American counterparts. Except for newer dubs, American voice actors are getting better on that aspect of voice acting.

Never heard of Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. What's it about?

Falcon

I must say I despise dubs and couldn't stand watching japanese anime dubbed... subbing FTW!

I must say I despise dubs and couldn't stand watching japanese anime dubbed... subbing FTW!

Well the main problem with dubbing in Anime is that dubbers tend to rewrite the plot most of the time. The worst was Carl's "Robotech" saga in the 80's (shivers).

Falcon

Code Geass. Its basically about people from japan who get invaded by a country called Britannia (interestingly enough its basically america that has taken over more than 50% of the countries on the planet). Anyway One of the main chars get's some power to control people's minds and uses it in his quest to take back Britannia and reclaim it as Japan.

Sigh... my description sucks but check out wikipedia and it'll give you a better description.

While I can agree early on that american dubs suck, within the last 10 years alone some dubbed anime have proved worthy adversaries to their japanese counterparts. Golden Boy, an ecchi/comedy anime's american dub totally blew the japanese actor out the roof. Of course it was an OVA and only 5 episodes long but still it kicked some major pwnage.

Also, the main reason I would take subs over dubs is because that american anime companies take so long to acquire the licenses that it literally could be a year or more after the series has been subbed twice over before they even start dubbing, so subbing get's a major point from that. Yea you can argue better voice this or better voice that, but there are a lot of japanese subs that I get dissapointed with BECAUSE of the japanese female actors who portray older girls/women while keeping their very high-octave voice squeaking along.

I'm sorry but it feels weird when I hear a supposed 25-40 year old sound like a 8-12 year old. And it's like that in just about every anime i've seen, with a few exceptions, and I've watched over 200 so I know my way around the bin, somewhat. The guy who did the voice of Renton in Eureka Seven , Johhny Yong Bosch, who also became the second Black Power Ranger after the original quit, first season. He has established himself pretty nicely and is playing in Bleach as the lead role. Most people I hear that dog dubbing don't actually understand much about voice acting and how to portray characters, and just cling to japanese actors like they are the only ones in the world and everyone else is inferior.

He along with quite a few other american voice actors actually do quite a good job with their dubbing. Sam Regal has also done good in some of the parts that he has done.

Edited by raidenandsolid

Code Geass. Its basically about people from japan who get invaded by a country called Britannia (interestingly enough its basically america that has taken over more than 50% of the countries on the planet). Anyway One of the main chars get's some power to control people's minds and uses it in his quest to take back Britannia and reclaim it as Japan.

Sigh... my description sucks but check out wikipedia and it'll give you a better description.

While I can agree early on that american dubs suck, within the last 10 years alone some dubbed anime have proved worthy adversaries to their japanese counterparts. Golden Boy, an ecchi/comedy anime's american dub totally blew the japanese actor out the roof. Of course it was an OVA and only 5 episodes long but still it kicked some major pwnage.

Also, the main reason I would take subs over dubs is because that american anime companies take so long to acquire the licenses that it literally could be a year or more after the series has been subbed twice over before they even start dubbing, so subbing get's a major point from that. Yea you can argue better voice this or better voice that, but there are a lot of japanese subs that I get dissapointed with BECAUSE of the japanese female actors who portray older girls/women while keeping their very high-octave voice squeaking along.

I'm sorry but it feels weird when I hear a supposed 25-40 year old sound like a 8-12 year old. And it's like that in just about every anime i've seen, with a few exceptions, and I've watched over 200 so I know my way around the bin, somewhat. The guy who did the voice of Renton in Eureka Seven , Johhny Yong Bosch, who also became the second Black Power Ranger after the original quit, first season. He has established himself pretty nicely and is playing in Bleach as the lead role. Most people I hear that dog dubbing don't actually understand much about voice acting and how to portray characters, and just cling to japanese actors like they are the only ones in the world and everyone else is inferior.

He along with quite a few other american voice actors actually do quite a good job with their dubbing. Sam Regal has also done good in some of the parts that he has done.

Yeah nowadays dubs are getting better. But I still prefer subs. Its a habit of mine. ;)

I kinda agree with you on Japanese Female voice leads and etc. But Anime like Noir and etc has good female voice acting IMHO.

Falcon

Well the main problem with dubbing in Anime is that dubbers tend to rewrite the plot most of the time. The worst was Carl's "Robotech" saga in the 80's (shivers).

Falcon

Check out this months New Type magazine. Monica Rial, one of ADV's voice actors, has a colum there and this month it was on ADR, automated dub recording, works. There actually is an art to dubbing, ADV and Funimation have actors that are very good at it, Bang Zoom is at the other end. If the dub is really bad I'll just switch to OVA and watch it subbed.

BTW, Just finished Gunslinger Girl, kind of sad end to the series but I've heard that there may be a second series in the future. My next waste of time is Mezzo DSA. Something about a girl in an orange body suit kicking butt and taking names.

But lets get back on track and keep the thread on the subject. There is a good thread concerning Dubbed vs Subbed at the Otaku USA forum.

lol lets leave that debate to them. There are many reasons I like both, in fact im rather 50/50 when it comes to quality (obviously because of the last years when it has gotten better, not in the early years) but will take subs first because they are released first (and ADV, Funimation, Bandai, etc. wonder why the market isn't as big as they like it to be).

If we could get American anime drawn more frequently, and not the disney crap, I mean some with more adult/sci-fi/mech/adventure/etc etc. themes that was actually released in American before the Japanese anime was imported, the market for anime from both countries would increase. But of course we change the ratings that japanese place on their anime to a higher age group. Like if its 15 for them, its 18 for us.

@FalconCAF

I agree as well, i'm just saying for those more adult roles, some Japanese VA (seiyu.. i believe is the term.. sp?) just don't quite meet my expectations, and what is worse is when the English counterpart screws it up, then the anime just vanishes completely.

I've heard some kid roles botched as well, but not as frequently as the older women (even men) roles.

Check out this months New Type magazine. Monica Rial, one of ADV's voice actors, has a colum there and this month it was on ADR, automated dub recording, works. There actually is an art to dubbing, ADV and Funimation have actors that are very good at it, Bang Zoom is at the other end. If the dub is really bad I'll just switch to OVA and watch it subbed.

BTW, Just finished Gunslinger Girl, kind of sad end to the series but I've heard that there may be a second series in the future. My next waste of time is Mezzo DSA. Something about a girl in an orange body suit kicking butt and taking names.

But lets get back on track and keep the thread on the subject. There is a good thread concerning Dubbed vs Subbed at the Otaku USA forum.

I'll check the magazine out thanks. About GG, yep its sad but I love the writing. I do hope they'll keep the formula for the second series. And I hope they'll touch on more on Henreitta's case IE Her family being murdered (sound like a mafia or "Yakazu" hit to me). As for Mezzo, you'd love it. Kinda corky, funny, weird. Very different animation style.

Falcon

lol lets leave that debate to them. There are many reasons I like both, in fact im rather 50/50 when it comes to quality (obviously because of the last years when it has gotten better, not in the early years) but will take subs first because they are released first (and ADV, Funimation, Bandai, etc. wonder why the market isn't as big as they like it to be).

If we could get American anime drawn more frequently, and not the disney crap, I mean some with more adult/sci-fi/mech/adventure/etc etc. themes that was actually released in American before the Japanese anime was imported, the market for anime from both countries would increase. But of course we change the ratings that japanese place on their anime to a higher age group. Like if its 15 for them, its 18 for us.

@FalconCAF

I agree as well, i'm just saying for those more adult roles, some Japanese VA (seiyu.. i believe is the term.. sp?) just don't quite meet my expectations, and what is worse is when the English counterpart screws it up, then the anime just vanishes completely.

I've heard some kid roles botched as well, but not as frequently as the older women (even men) roles.

Totally agree with you there about American styled animation. I don't know if an American style "Adult" anime would work. Two reasons on why. First, very large percentage of Americans think Animation is for children. They think Anime as digmon, pokemon and etc and big breasted girls & big robots with huge guns (for geeks and pervs). Second, if you put "Adult themed" on an American style animation flick, very large percentage of Americans would think it will be XXX rated. Most Americans are that ingornant. Granted some American styled anime are good, such as "Sinbad", "The Prince of Eygpt", "Watership Down" etc. But most animated flicks in America are aimed at kids.

Falcon

I agree, which amazes me why some people don't understand why the market is not so booming over here. Sigh... I live in Houston, Texas where the anime licensing/dubbing company ADV is located. Every now and then there are conventions here (I have yet to go to one, but I am scared I will only meet idiot fan-boys or mindless cosplay girls... not that I don't like the latter half, but I would want to go to talk to manga writers and animation writers/directors to hold intellectual but short conversations about their work).

Of course I can't seem to find a manga story distributor for the life of me, but best buy and other places distribute Anime DVD's..

The only problem I have with anime is even if I get really into it, I can't keep up with japanese names, namely do to the fact that alot of names, especially males.. are repeated over.. and over... and over..

Such examples are Kazuki, Yosuuke (or Yosuke), some others I can't remember off the top of my head, but you get the idea right?

Not that I don't thoroughly enjoy those anime, but the nomenclature just makes me go -.-

Anywho, You are right, thats why anime 16+ in hapan get read as 18+ over here. Well i'm not going into politics here, but it's a shame that we can't bring some very nice works over here for public viewing, OTHER than Cartoon Network (the more younger anime such as Naruto/One Piece/Yu-gi-oh/Yu-Yu Hakusho (no longer running on CN) and Adult Swim(Bleach,Trinity Blood, Gundam, Ghost in the Shell... a very nice work indeed.. especially the movies, Eureka Seven, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop... well.. the list goes oN).

I heard there is some channel specifically for anime on some cable network, but I own Dish so sadly there is none for me. I know the Sci-Fi channel does anime monday at night but I prefer to watch on more days than one.

Well I have ranted long enough in this post.

Any other anime you want to have a conversation about? I have watched more than enough to fill my tastes, but still enjoy them.

In terms of mecha anime, im about to pick up on RenXaphon and a few others, but that seems to be the biggest titles atm.

I agree, which amazes me why some people don't understand why the market is not so booming over here. Sigh... I live in Houston, Texas where the anime licensing/dubbing company ADV is located. Every now and then there are conventions here (I have yet to go to one, but I am scared I will only meet idiot fan-boys or mindless cosplay girls... not that I don't like the latter half, but I would want to go to talk to manga writers and animation writers/directors to hold intellectual but short conversations about their work).

Of course I can't seem to find a manga story distributor for the life of me, but best buy and other places distribute Anime DVD's..

The only problem I have with anime is even if I get really into it, I can't keep up with japanese names, namely do to the fact that alot of names, especially males.. are repeated over.. and over... and over..

Such examples are Kazuki, Yosuuke (or Yosuke), some others I can't remember off the top of my head, but you get the idea right?

Not that I don't thoroughly enjoy those anime, but the nomenclature just makes me go -.-

Anywho, You are right, thats why anime 16+ in hapan get read as 18+ over here. Well i'm not going into politics here, but it's a shame that we can't bring some very nice works over here for public viewing, OTHER than Cartoon Network (the more younger anime such as Naruto/One Piece/Yu-gi-oh/Yu-Yu Hakusho (no longer running on CN) and Adult Swim(Bleach,Trinity Blood, Gundam, Ghost in the Shell... a very nice work indeed.. especially the movies, Eureka Seven, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop... well.. the list goes oN).

I heard there is some channel specifically for anime on some cable network, but I own Dish so sadly there is none for me. I know the Sci-Fi channel does anime monday at night but I prefer to watch on more days than one.

Well I have ranted long enough in this post.

Any other anime you want to have a conversation about? I have watched more than enough to fill my tastes, but still enjoy them.

In terms of mecha anime, im about to pick up on RenXaphon and a few others, but that seems to be the biggest titles atm.

About getting manga, is there a "Books & co" or a "Barnes & Noble" bookstore near you? Or a local comic store? They have Manga (Japanese style but in english, you read left to right.)

You should go to a con just for the hell for it dude. I never been in one neither but really want to. Hanging out cosplay chicks might be fun :good::biggrin:.

The channel you're thinking of is the Anime Network. DISH should have it, strange. I have the free on demand version of it but not the actual channel (anime tears flow).

RenXephon is a kickin ass anime dude. Somewhat weird but the animation...WOW! I like the intro song too, the singer has a beautiful voice.

Falcon

Edited by FalconCAF

Err im sorry, I meant to say I have Direct TV... sorry the idiot in me X-|..

Oh I read manga that I get from a website that provides scanalations. I plan on purchasing some as well, but the closest book store only provides educational books and such. I'll have to look up online to see if there is a barnes and noble or such near here that provides manga. I've looked before but to no avail, maybe I just skipped over something.

Yea, there are some anime's with good intro, in fact I have gotten hooked on some bands/singers because of it, even though I don't completely understand japanese. It's just the flow of the sound and the way their voice matches the flow that makes it quite awesome.

I get a lot of my Manga from Barnes and Noble, usually I'll find something at the local store and then order online for everything that isn't available locally.

Try this link, it should take you to the Manga page....

http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/browse/na...fiction&z=y

This is for another site that carries Manga, I've not tried it but a couple friends have had no problems....

http://www.tfaw.com/

As for anime I either use B&N or go through ADV when they have a sale.

Lots of luck in finding stuff. Right now I'm reading My HIME, not a bad series with lots of volumes to develop the story. The last three series I read were too short, RahXephon (3 volumes), and Tokyo Boys and Girls ( 5 volumes), and Crossroads (7 volumes). And I just got the RahXephon DVD collection today. Have my weekend planned out already. :crazy:

Edited by firehawkordy

Some of the manga I picked up with the help of a friend is I''S, Air Gear, NANA, xxxHOLIC, and Wallflower (aka Perfect Girl Evolution, aka Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge). Some are drama, some are comedy, some a romance, but I've watched the anime for all and are quite intriguing.

Wallflower is quite hilarious for a comedy about 4 pretty boys and 1 extremely gothic/wannabe emo girl. I'd recommend it if you like comedy, definitely will catch more than a few chuckles.

EDIT: So yea I found out there is a B&N like less than 4 miles away, so I didn't look hard enough, but ill surely be making visits soon.

Now I just need to find an ADV distributor here in Houston, since I believe their man HQ is here.

Edited by raidenandsolid

Some of the manga I picked up with the help of a friend is I''S, Air Gear, NANA, xxxHOLIC, and Wallflower (aka Perfect Girl Evolution, aka Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge). Some are drama, some are comedy, some a romance, but I've watched the anime for all and are quite intriguing.

Wallflower is quite hilarious for a comedy about 4 pretty boys and 1 extremely gothic/wannabe emo girl. I'd recommend it if you like comedy, definitely will catch more than a few chuckles.

EDIT: So yea I found out there is a B&N like less than 4 miles away, so I didn't look hard enough, but ill surely be making visits soon.

Now I just need to find an ADV distributor here in Houston, since I believe their man HQ is here.

Best Buy should have ADV titles. Is there a BB near you?

Falcon

Err im sorry, I meant to say I have Direct TV... sorry the idiot in me X-|..

Oh I read manga that I get from a website that provides scanalations. I plan on purchasing some as well, but the closest book store only provides educational books and such. I'll have to look up online to see if there is a barnes and noble or such near here that provides manga. I've looked before but to no avail, maybe I just skipped over something.

Yea, there are some anime's with good intro, in fact I have gotten hooked on some bands/singers because of it, even though I don't completely understand japanese. It's just the flow of the sound and the way their voice matches the flow that makes it quite awesome.

I've read some scanalations myself. Some were good and some were bad. I guess its a "roll dice & see" type a deal. About music intro's, yeah me too, I like the band who did Bleach. Awesome sound. I also like few intro's & endings from Eureka Seven. The best intro is Ghost in the Shell first and second seasons. The female singer is Russian BTW.

Falcon