Sign in to follow this  
tw7222

GI Joe live action movie?

With all the transformer talk I figured someone may know something? Anyone?

With all the transformer talk I figured someone may know something? Anyone?

Oh gawd I sincerly hope not...

Falcon

Falcon

yeah but, your name is Falcon and there was a Falcon in GI Joe :no:

Somehow I think it would be a flop, since all that "one big army of terrorists" cliché is gone and buried forewer I think... Transformers has transforming robots, that's an unusual but very much appreciated crowd pleaser which has no equal. GIJOE though would be lost among vast competition spanning everything from James Bond to John Rambo and would definitely not be a box-office hit like Transformers...

yeah but, your name is Falcon and there was a Falcon in GI Joe :no:

Yes, Lt. Falcon and he was Duke's brother. But the friggin toon was corny as hell. Thank god I stopped watching it after the movie, which it was ok (at least there was killings, even though they were giant bugs)

GI Joe was my second choice of my nick, first was F-16.

Falcon

Somehow I think it would be a flop, since all that "one big army of terrorists" cliché is gone and buried forewer I think... Transformers has transforming robots, that's an unusual but very much appreciated crowd pleaser which has no equal. GIJOE though would be lost among vast competition spanning everything from James Bond to John Rambo and would definitely not be a box-office hit like Transformers...

I agree unless the movie represent COBRA in today's world events IE Taliban or something like that but as more country bound? I don't know.. GI Joe IMHO makes conflict as bloodless fighting.

Falcon

The only way it could work is if they took the characters and transplanted them to a more realistic modern situation. There's nothing wrong with the characters, and they're better defined than most war movie characters are.

Larry Hama wrote the comic for years and it was pretty good, a little corny from time to time, but pretty good nonetheless. I mean he won a host of awards for it. Once he left, it turned to shyte in under a year, even after the Transformers crossover. If there was a screenplay, and it avoids the "real Americn hero" crap which was a byproduct of the old war and corny as hell (by the way, I sincerely mean no offense to you United States folks), especially in the cartoon. IMHO, if they make a serious attempt at remaking the Joe theme, not a half arsed attempt just to sell a bunch of toys, (I'm talking your Bourne Identity serious as opposed to floptastic Alien vs Predator attempt), it might work well... But Lord Jedi and TX3RNOBILL are right, it could just as easily go the other way...

...and I hope bloodywell they don't rebadge it as "Action Force" in the UK!! :biggrin:

Those are just my thoughts, not that I was a fan or nuthin' :rolleyes:

Larry Hama wrote the comic for years and it was pretty good, a little corny from time to time, but pretty good nonetheless. I mean he won a host of awards for it. Once he left, it turned to shyte in under a year, even after the Transformers crossover. If there was a screenplay, and it avoids the "real Americn hero" crap which was a byproduct of the old war and corny as hell (by the way, I sincerely mean no offense to you United States folks), especially in the cartoon. IMHO, if they make a serious attempt at remaking the Joe theme, not a half arsed attempt just to sell a bunch of toys, (I'm talking your Bourne Identity serious as opposed to floptastic Alien vs Predator attempt), it might work well... But Lord Jedi and TX3RNOBILL are right, it just as easily go the other way...

...and I hope bloodywell they don't rebadge it as "Action Force" in the UK!! :biggrin:

Those are just my thoughts, not that I was a fan or nuthin' :rolleyes:

I agree, at the beginning GI Joe comic was great! I still got the issues bagged :). I think the screenplay would work if they put the team in a more realistic setting like Jedi suggested.

Falcon

...and it avoids the "real Americn hero" crap which was a byproduct of the old war and corny as hell...

that was meant to read COLD WAR

Falcon

Hear hear!!!!