Sign in to follow this  
Gocad

Seems to me like there is something wrong with the Tomcat's viewpos.

I'm not sure if that has been addressed before, but I think that the cockpit view of the F-14 is plain wrong.

Just compare these pictures:

F-14 cockpit view (12 o'clock):

post-22093-1185445151_thumb.jpg

This persepctive makes me think that the Tomcat must be sliding on its nose accross the runway, as if somebody had forgotten to extend the nose wheels...

F-14 cockpit view (7-8 o'clock):

post-22093-1185445273_thumb.jpg

From this perspective you get the impression that wing is mounted almost above the pilot's position

F-14 side view:

post-22093-1185445309_thumb.jpg

But the side view proves that this is not the case.

So, how can that be fixed. I think this requires editing of the F-14_Cockpit file, but I do have no idea which values need to changed.

I noticed that by changing the C of G in the aircraft data.ini it changes the position of the cockpit, this may not be the correct way but it did change it, I also susspect there is some relationship with the offset value in the cockpit.ini but haven't figured it out yet.

I wouldn't change the CG, as that would just change the handling characteristics. I think changes in the cockpit.ini and the crew positions in the data.ini would be applicable.

In principle yes changing the C of G will affect handling, but I think in this case a shift up on the Z axis of about .5 meters probably won't make any real impact. Handling is mostly affected by C of G changes along the Y axis.

as I mentioned though there is an entry in the cockpit.ini which reffers to offset, this may be something to do with it.