Sign in to follow this  
Hawk MMS

Applications of Different Jet Fuels?

The guys I work with wonder what types of aircraft use JP-5 and JP-8 respectively. I work for a petroleum pipeline and we pump both and are curious. We pump from refineries to a terminal and they ship via barge and vessel. We never even see it from our control room .

JP-5 is used by the USN and probably the USMC. JP-8 is used by the USAF and probably the US Army. There are some subvariants of the fuels, but mostly, that's pretty much across the board in the services.

There used to be JP-4 and JP-7. JP-4 was the standard USAF fuel, but JP-7 was the special 'thick fuel' used by the SR-71/A-12 family. Both have long since been retired though (the SR-71, JP-4 and JP-7).

FastCargo

AHHHHHH. Thanks that is very informative. I wonder what the difference is or if it is an accounting thing. I know all they do is inject additives in to regular Jet A (the kind that goes to the airports) to make it.

I'm not sure how they compare directly to F-33, F-34 etc. which are the NATO fuel designators, but onboard ship we use a fuel with a higher flashpoint than the stuff used by land bases. I think it has something to do with living on top of a hundered tons of it!

I think JP-5 is similiar (higher flashpoint). Also, JP-8 is basically Jet A with the anti-freezing additive already added into it.

FastCargo

I looked it up and you guys are correct

JP-8 has the same flashpoint as Jet A (commercial) (minimum 100 deg.),

JP-5 is a kerosene type fuel with low volatility and a high flash point of approximately 140 degrees Fahrenheit.

JP-5 is used for Navy shipboard and fleet support shore activities.

JP-8 is a kerosene type fuel suitable for most turbine engined aircraft. It has a flash point of 100 degrees F and a freezing point of –47 degrees C.

Edited by USMC Hawker

It's been two months since I pumped fuel at work, plus I was only there for a month, but I think we used Jet-A1 (for the airlines anyway) with no MB-56 (prist). At my old job it was Jet-A pre-blended with prist (All Phillips 66 Jet-A is pre-blended).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_fuel

PS, If your leather work gloves become mummified after working with dry wall, dip 'em in some Jet-A to restore the moisture and give them a nice golden hue. Plus they'll smell better :)