Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

WW2 Kriegs Marine aircraft

While doing research for the Ju-87T, I came across a long thread at Ubi about a what if scenario of the Graf Zeppelin's CVBG heading out into the Indian Ocean and SW Pacific (assuming the collapse of the 8th Army in Egypt) That got me to thinking about other skins...

Late 44/Early 45 North Atlantic winter style, Bf-109T10:

bf109t10_corsair.jpg

squiggles are based of the WildeSau, with the base camo (splinter) just leaking out from under. This is an early version, the nose has been since fixed. Should the splinter be more visible?

Ju87T on deck:

ju87t-1.jpg

I'm kinda unhappy about using the standard skin; what would be a better type? More gray up the fuseleage/fin sides? Bleached out splinter on the upper surfaces?? Mind you, there's no template available, so I'd have to make a new one, redrawing the myriad lines and countless rivets....

Also, should there be any kind of lettering on the side? I was thinking along the lines of KMGZ + (number). Easy enough to do with a decal.

Other than that, it's ready to go.

Also, using Russo's standard (albeit slightly modified) JG53 skin, Bf-109T-2/3. I like the little Zeppelin nose badge :wink:

bf109t2.jpg

Might switch to the white/outlined numbers; they may standout more. I think more light gray would be in order, but I'd have to bug Russo for the template....

The real ones, flying in Norway, used the standard Emil camo patterns.

The Arado/Tenzan is being examined by my Teamates, so that should be out reletively soon.

Thoughts, people?? I'm NO expert on Luftwaffe markings, especially in this far out "What If..." carrier birds.

Wrench

kevin stein

My only thought is that the FW-200's were long-range maritime aircraft and they mainly used the RLM 70/71 splinter scheme with 65 undersides throughout the war. However the Bv 222 Flying Boats used RLM 72/73 topside with 65 under.

By 1940 the fighters were painted in 70/02/65, however in 1941 the Luftwaffe changed their fighter scheme to a RLM 74/75 splinter over RLM 76, a dark gray/green, a light gray/violet and a lighter blue.

With all those changes I don't think you could go wrong with any way you decided to paint the Graf Zeppelin contingent.

Hmmmm....A little OT but, I can't imagine the 109 being a successful carrier aircraft with that narrow undercarriage. I know they "widened" it some but.... I would think the 190 with the much wider gear and radial engine would have done much better. Too bad the project was shelved before the introduction of the FW. Anyway I guess you've seen the profiles for the 109T at Wings Pallette?

Tailspin: I have. They were for the landbased versions. They'd be nice skins too!

They only widened the stance, I think less than a meter...but there's been some discussion that would have helped (more than the Seafire's stock stance, anyway!)

I'd actually given some thought about modding the 190A into a carrier version; I too like the wider stance. But on the Ubi board, there was some discussion of that, remaking that the landing speed's were too high, given the smaller deck area. So, maybe add some kind of "vitrual" airbrake (since we can't physically add it to the model), like I did to the A-36 Apache and SBD. 90 degree dive, throttled back, 170 knts IAS. Those worked really well.

It'd be easy enough to do; the 'carrier' equipment is all added via ini edits. Perhaps strengthen the landing gear. I think a seaborne FW would be a frightning adversery.

The alternate history line (ie: in the readme) would actually be fun to write!

I can whip one out in no time, of course :wink:

One of the reason's I chose to tweek the Jill into the 87T Stuka's replacement (albeit not a dive bomber, more on the lines of a level/torpedo bomber to replace both the Stuka and Fleieser)

Alternate history is fun!!! :biggrin:

oppps forgot: anybody know where I can get some good paint chips of the RLM colors to add to the Photoshop pallete??

Wrench

kevin stein