Sign in to follow this  
Dark_au

Resizing terrains thread

As posted in another thread I'd be interested in making the WOE / WOV terrains the correct size. Is anyone interested in this project. I can do the programming side of things and also do some of the other stuff but would rather not have to do everything.

Some questions pop up straight away.

1). the coordinates for objects appear to be listed in km. Where is the origin ie which corner is 0,0

2). what is the max x and y values for the objects.

3). Are there any other files apart from the targets.ini file that would need to be altered.

4). Where is the scaling generated. I realise that you can alter the scaling when importing into TE but does it then do any further scaling.

what I can do (potentially very easily) is write a program that would take the coordinates from the targets.ini and apply a scaling factor to them. Is there anything more complex it would need to do?.

Below is a post Wolf257 made back in '05. I've yet to get a chance to try it out, but maybe it will be of some help.

The bottom, left corner is (0,0).

You need to extract the .tfd and .hfd files for the stock gameworlds in both SF and WoV if you plan on converting these.

For existing 3rd party gameworlds I'd strongly suggest making back-up copies of these files in case you screw up (not likely since you're only changing one character) or want to go back to the regular sized gameworlds.

It'd probably be a good idea to make back-up copies of all the files I'm going to detail.

Here is the proceedure for converting an existing gameworld to full-scale.

It's not difficult but depending on the number of target areas it can be time consuming.

You also need a hex-editor if you don't already have one.

Set it to display 16 bytes so the lines look like the ones below.

Open the XXXX.tfd and XXXX.hfd files and make the following changes.

The following is the first line of data in each file so it's easy to find.

The "Header" is the first 16 bytes in each file, make no other changes than the ones specified or the game will most likely crash.

Here is the original TFD or Tile Field Data header for a standard scale gameworld...

F401 0000 F401 0000 0000 0000 0040 9F40

This is the edited .tfd header.

F401 0000 F401 0000 0000 0000 0040 AF40

The original HFD or Height Field Data header.

D007 0000 D007 0000 0000 0000 0040 7F40

The edited .hfd header.

D007 0000 D007 0000 0000 0000 0040 8F40

There is some clipping of the terrain till you make these changes to the FLIGHTENGINE.INI file.

[FarSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=140000.0

NearClipDistance=3000.0

[NormalSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=40000.0

NearClipDistance=249.9

[NearSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=500.0

NearClipDistance=1.2

The above changes haven't caused any problems with the regular game worlds, so far, but your mileage may vary.

There are a couple of other data edits to get the gameworld fully operational.

You need to open the XXXXX.ini file for the terrain and make these changes to get the planning screen map to display properly.

[Map]

FilenameFormat=PlanningMap%d.bmp

Width=2000000.0<<< double these figures from whatever the stock figures were.

Height=2000000.0<<<

NumZoomLevels=3

You also need to open the XXXX_movement.ini file and double the entries for the frontline plus any truck or shipping routes.

This will keep the Armed Recon and Anti-Shipping missions working.

Now for the real job...

Open the XXXX_targets.ini file and make the following changes to ALL target coordinates...

[TargetArea001]

Name=XXXX

Position=1509000.000,675000.000 <<< double these figures>>>

Radius=6000.000

ActiveYear=0

Location=1

To keep any campaigns associated with this gameworld working properly open the

XXXX_DATA.INI for that particular campaign, scroll to the bottom and double the BasePoint coordinates in each Strategic Node.

As I said in the other post, it's generally a lot of work to convert an existing gameworld unless there are a limited number of target areas and it probably wouldn't be popular to the general SF player but it's something to keep in mind.

Have fun.

WOLF

Does anybody know how to resize the .TOD files? All objects now only appear in one quarter square of terrain tile. I tried using Terrain Editor it gives the same results.