Sign in to follow this  
SpeedyVV

uber n00b Questions (How to play)

Hello to all, my 1st post so please go easy on me :biggrin:

I just bought WOE yesterday, installed and configured for multimonitor support today. Great it works!!!

Then I tried to play the game. Oh no! I just dont know how to play it :sorry:

So I tried RTFM. But oh my, 30 pages of fairly detailed instructions about the game.

I came here searching for a beginners guide but did not find one.

So please see if you can help me if the following (remember I am new to the game and Flight sims):

1. Is there a recommended basic guidetutorial anywhere?
  2. Will my old Logitech WingMan Force 3D work well with this game? Do I need to configure it, or are default settings good?
  3. Are the patches recommended? Any other downloads?

I am very excited about this game. From just "flying around" it looks like a lot of fun. And since the graphics are not too demanding, I managed to get it working @ 4960x1600 across 3 screens. Looks awsome!!

Thanks in advance a look forward to move up the ladder and playing online soon.

Edited by SpeedyVV

Welcome, Speedy! You've definately come to right place :good: This website has lots of information to help you ease into WoE and there are a bunch of great guys here to help you along the way. As far as your specific questions go, I can only say for sure that downloading official patches for any game is a must, as they fix annoying bugs. Other's will soon help ya out, I'm sure.

Again, welcome!

Welcome, Speedy! You've definately come to right place :good: This website has lots of information to help you ease into WoE and there are a bunch of great guys here to help you along the way. As far as your specific questions go, I can only say for sure that downloading official patches for any game is a must, as they fix annoying bugs. Other's will soon help ya out, I'm sure.

Again, welcome!

Ty for the welcome. i will download the patches and install them tonight. And try to make sense out of that User guide.

Why does the manual only give Keyboard settings and not joystick settings I dont understand :-(

Hello to all, my 1st post so please go easy on me :biggrin:

I just bought WOE yesterday, installed and configured for multimonitor support today. Great it works!!!

Then I tried to play the game. Oh no! I just dont know how to play it :sorry:

So I tried RTFM. But oh my, 30 pages of fairly detailed instructions about the game.

I came here searching for a beginners guide but did not find one.

So please see if you can help me if the following (remember I am new to the game and Flight sims):

1. Is there a recommended basic guidetutorial anywhere?
  2. Will my old Logitech WingMan Force 3D work well with this game? Do I need to configure it, or are default settings good?
  3. Are the patches recommended? Any other downloads?

I am very excited about this game. From just "flying around" it looks like a lot of fun. And since the graphics are not too demanding, I managed to get it working @ 4960x1600 across 3 screens. Looks awsome!!

Thanks in advance a look forward to move up the ladder and playing online soon.

I don't know about a basic tutorial in terms of gameplay, it's kind of just pick a plane, pick a mission and go.

Configuring the stick should be easy in the using the OPTIONS selection and then choosing CONTROL on the menu screen. You can also adjust other aspects of the game; graphics, sound, game intensity (easy to Hard) etc. There is a manual included in the program file that outlines the various settings.

I use an old Logitech also and have no problems.

Definitely patch it up.

There are a TON of downloads you can add to improve the game. Everything from additional planes, improved effects, terrains, ships, other objects, etc. The list is endless.

The "Knowledge Base" found here at CA should answer most of your questions. Here is the link:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showforum=99

Keep in mind that WOE uses the same game engine as Wings Over Vietnam and Strike Fighters. Mods that apply to those games typically can apply to WOE as well.

Good luck, have fun, and let us know if you have more questions.

Ty for the welcome. i will download the patches and install them tonight. And try to make sense out of that User guide.

Why does the manual only give Keyboard settings and not joystick settings I dont understand :-(

You can program the various commands to you joystick by going to the OPTIONS/CONTROL screen from the games main menu screen. It's simply a matter of picking a command and activating the stick's button/switch in order to program it.

Edited by tank03