Sign in to follow this  
comrpnt

Vulcan B2 anti-collision and instrument lights WiP

Hi folks, here are a few pictures of some recent WiP on the Vulcan B2's anti-collision and landing lights - to replicate those found on the real thing.

I've also had a go at lighting up the cockpit to enhance night flying - basically I was having trouble seeing the instrument panel at night in thick cloud.

I have a question - what is the effect of changing the LightSrcOffset x,y,z values? Would someone please explain this particular field as I'm unsure what changing the values does to the results. Thanks.

Vulcan_lights_WiPLarge.jpg

Regards, comrpnt :-)

I think - and I"m not totally sure- that it's the standard x=left/right, y=fore/aft, z=up/down.

I know on one of my P-38's, the arc for the wingtip lights is wrong, and it illuminates down the wing, back toward the nacelles, instead of outward.

As to cockpit lighting, you can change that in the cockpit ini... (below from the stock E Scooter)

LightRange=1.5

LightInnerConeAngle=43

LightOuterConeAngle=60

LightAngles=0.0,-35.0,0.0

DiffuseLightFactor=0.5 <-possibly as seen from outside? or internally?

NightLightOn=0.25 <- I know this is a 'time' thing 0.55 turns all on eariler

NightLightColor=0.5,0.2,0.3 this is the 'lamp' color, also changable

I just don't remeber what the conversion is (Deuces used to have a rgb to whatever converter at his site, but I can't find it again)

Or are you trying something like Pasko did with the Twin Mustang?? Had a seperate 'running' light in the cockpit, to illuminate it?

Wrench

kevin stein

Hi Wrench, thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the position/meaning of the values for X,Y,Z is as you describe, oriented to the centre point of the aircraft. And the colour - I only need red (i.e. 1,0,0 - RGB) so that's ok. Oh, and the 'on' time settings - you're quite right. The closer to 1.0 you get the earlier on the light turns on. 1.0 = permanently on. I've used this setting before for my runway and airfield building lights.

I've seen a definition for LightSrcOffset which suggests that it's related to direction of the beam from the light source - I was just having trouble visualising it and the effects of changing the values. Most examples of LightSrcOffset either don't specify any value or seem to mis-use it. The same values for X,Y,Z crop up again and again in the published work regardless of what it's being used for.

I want to illuminate the cockpit instruments without general cockpit glare so thanks for mentioning about the proper cockpit lighting parameters. I think I'll concentrate my efforts there as it seems like the right place to put such definitions, rather than as part of the external aircraft lighting. Cheers.

Regards, Paul T. (comrpnt)