Sign in to follow this  
pzkpfw

Trouble installing a cockpit

I've had the MiG-21 PFM Fishbed-F for awhile and I just downloaded the F/PF/PFM cockpit for it by Paladrian, but I'm having trouble installing it. The instructions are a little vague for me (I'm very new to this game and modding community, if it weren't for the weapons pack I'd be screwed). It says its a self-extracting .rar, and to extract it in the main game directory. I have WOE, and the readme only mentions Project 1 and WOV, so is that the problem? Because when I extracted the file where it told me to I basicly just ended up with the files scattered around in my MiG-21PFM Aircraft folder. I was under the impression that all of the modifications are universal to SFP1, WOV, and WOE. And when I started the game to see if anything changed, I had two completely new MiG-21s in my drop down menu that were never mentioned at all by the readme. I'm really confused.

One of the all-embracing reasons to extract to a temp folder ---

I'd start over, deleting the obvious addon, then unzip it to a temp folder.

Intallling the cockpit is a really straightforward affair -- there's even a thread about it in the Knowledge Base "Adding Cockpit to them Pesky MiGs" or something like that...

1) unzip to aformentioned temp folder

2) select with mig to update, for instance the 21MF

3) copy/paste the approiate 'cabina' folder into the MF's main folder

4) copy/paste the approiate "Cabina_**.ini" to the MF main folder

5) open the MiG-21MF.ini, and add the necessary lines --

This is directly from mine:

[AircraftData]

AircraftFullName=MiG-21MF Fishbed-J

AircraftDataFile=MIG-21MF_DATA.ini

CockpitDataFile=Cabina_MiG-21MF.INI

HangarScreen=21MF_Hangar.bmp

LoadingScreen=Imagen02_MiG-21MF.bmp

LoadoutImage=Imagen00_MiG-21MF.bmp

LoadoutFile=MiG-21MF_loadout.ini

AvionicsDLL=Avionics60.dll <---

AvionicsDataFilename=Avionica_MiG-21MF.INI <--- these last 2 line are VERY critical to getting working radar and rwr

But DO have a look at the 'adding pits' thread inthe KB...a lot of other questions will be answered as well.

Wrench

kevin stein

If you will be done with pits, you will have some problems with weapons probably (if you have newest weapons pack from jul 2006 installed, you will have this problem). If you will fly, and there will be no weapons in loadout menu and under Mig pylons, go to Knowledge base too.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=18346

Read carefully Wrench notes in that topic.

Do not be affraid :wink: If you will have problem, post it here :yes:

BTW, you can install Czechoslovak Mig-21F-13 add on by Mirage factory. There is Mig-21F pit included.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autom...p;showfile=5239

This is self-extracting pack too. But you can extract this pack into WOE without problems. And as I wrote, if you have Weapons pack from jul 2006 installed, Mig-21F-13CZ need weapons fix from Knowledge base (fixies wrote by Wrench).

Edited by kukulino

The easiest way would be installing the cockpits using the installer for Strike Fighters, it's basically the same. But easiest way is not the best way :no: , you would still need to make several fixes not obvious to newcomers... well the files are somewhat old and were released before WOE!!

To be safe follow the steps posted by Wrench, with the following addition:

4)copy/paste "Avionica_**.ini" as well!!

And read the links provided, so that you get familiar with modding the game

I know the files need to be updated, I may do it sometime in the future... after WOI is released

WHOOPSS!!!

I forgot that one!! Thanks Paladrain!

Wrench

kevin stein

It works with SFP1, but not WOE. I installed SFP1 because I wanted to convert it to the Iran/Iraq campaign, but I couldn't get that to work. It has something to do with the weapons pack I think, like maybe I'm installing the weapons pack (the newest one, July) without patching SFP1 which is causing an error. What happens is I launch the game but before it loads the IranIraq menu I get one of those message boxes that ask if I want to send an error report to Microsoft or w/e. But the IranIraq instructions don't mention anything about patches, and I just assumed that it needed a completely untampered SFP1 install. ANYWAYS, like I said Paladrian's cockpit for my PFM works fine. I installed it the same way I did with WOE. BTW Paladrian its a real sharp cockpit, very accurate.

I have WOE. I have Mig-21F/PF/PFM/MF with cockpits from paladrian. Everything works right.

I am using Mig-21MF pit for Mig-23MF and BN too.

Which Migs are not working right in your install?

Iran/iraq campaign:

Take look on Iraq/Iran campaign in Download section:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autom...p;showfile=1270

MK2 wrote: "Please read the read me text carefully for installation instructions. This is a seperate install. Please make sure you have the latest patches before installation."

I had this campaign installed in WOV. It works good.

There is update for this campaign in DS:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autom...p;showfile=5290

Try search engine for this campaign too. We had here topic about it a few weeks ago.

Edited by kukulino

All the aircraft for I/I are already done...we just need to finish Desert Storm before moving on.

I'v completely rebuilt that map -- it has over 200 target areas, new movement ini (lots of places for tank battles), corrected placements of, well, places. I think many of the 'places' are with a few meters of their acutal location (gotta love Google Earth). But several of the Iranina air fields are mis-located, and need moving and terrain flattening...same for the several new ones I added.

I've tested the new version (map) in SF, WoV and WoE...so I know it works.

The campaign ini itself needs to be completely rebuilt, as there are scads of new nation-specific weapons. MK2 just released that as a small update.

Have you looked in the Knowledge Base, "Weapons and Loadout Fixes Thread", you'll find the entire Iraqi and Iranian air forces fully updated...

Remember folks, I don't keep that thread for my health...it's there for situations like this, to give you what you need even before you know you need it. :ok:

As for the MiGPits...they work in everything...check your install procedures, youve missed something somewhere.

Wrench

kevin stein

Alright, I'm going to try the IranIraq campaign again, thanks for the info kukulino.

I think maybe the cockpit doesn't work for my WOE PFM because I downloaded it, its not a stock AI PFM that I made flyable. I can't really think of any other reason, because like I said I installed to SFP1 the same way I did with WOE and it works perfectly for SFP1. I'm not really concerned about it, I like my SFP1 install better than my WOE.

We can not move without Knowledge base, of course. This is clear :yes:

Mig-21PFM is very nice plane. There is 1024x1024 skin in PFM pack from DS:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autom...mp;showfile=524

I will make serial nums for czechoslovak PFMs in the future. Then PFM will be much nicer :biggrin:

I saw your note about no stok AI PFM. But I do not understand it.

So, let's go try make PFM flyable again. OK?

Based on Wrenchs notes.

1. unpack cockpit pack into temporary folder (SFP1 style, no WOV update)

2. copy these files from Mig-21PFM (temporary folder) into Mig-21PFM in WOE installation:

Cabina folder

Cabina_MiG-21PFM.ini

Avionica_MiG-21PFM.ini

MiG-21PFM.ini

3. go fly

This helps to PFM version.

But if you will want add new pit for another plane (make flyable some stock plane with different pit for example) you will need notes from knowledge base.

BTW, I like my WOE install more than SFP1 :biggrin:

Edited by kukulino