Sign in to follow this  
Hogpen13

Using LOMAC in the real USAF

I know there has always been the debate on who uses flight sims (like Falcon4) in the real world and just how useful they are to real pilots. I don’t know a real pilot would have to answer that question but I can tell you what a sim like LOMAC can/will do for the maintaince community.

We are very specialized in the USAF and as such don’t cross specialties very often. Myself as a crew chief knows very little about the weapons and avionics of the aircraft we work. And the weapons and avionics troops know very little about the airframe itself. All of us on the ground know very little about the pilot’s job and what happens ones he/she pulls “out of chocks”.

I will use LOMAC to give me a better feel of what the pilot’s job is and how the systems I work affect the mission. Helping with LOMAC has taught me a lot about weapons and avionics and how they operate to put “iron on target”. I think each A-10 unit could use LOMAC to give the maintainers a better feel for the overall aircraft systems and how they work to complete the mission.

Also, as some of you know, I work in the A-10 System Program Office and we get a lot of new officers and civilians through each year. 50% or better have never touched an A-10 and have no clue about the aircraft itself or it’s role. I think along with a good aircraft intro LOMAC can be used to give these new troops a good feel for the A-10.

I mean let a new guy take the Hog up for a spin and get some AAA and sams fired at him while trying to hit a target with a couple of MK-82s! If his system is say…the RAW… he will get a small taste of just how important his system is to the pilot!

This is a few ways I see LOMAC helping the real USAF… and we get a little play time also!!

Thats a pretty good peice of rationalizing your on duty game time there Dice, hehe. I'll hafta remember that at my work. :lol:

Actually, when I was in the Navy, we did a LOT of cross-training. The intention being that come casualties wether from combat or accident, we could move into another position in a pinch. Submariners are espesially known for this but surface types like me did it also. Not only could you step in, but during routine times, you had a greater appreciation for what your shipmates were facing in their daily jobs, so the whining and complaining about your shipmates were kept to a minumim. Cross-training is a very good idea.

PCPilot, I wish we did that in the AF more but we are so specialized now that I could never do an avionics or weapons troop's job!

The SPD (O-6) is very much behind the idea so I may get to play LOMAC and get payed for doing it! :D

Well the Navy started using FS98 (probably FS2002 now) for training raw recruits on the T34 Mentor back a couple of years ago after an ensign scored really high and explained how he practiced on his PC using MSFS. Now they have a Computer lab with PCs setup with MSFS and the T34 mentor addon and are using it for training and pilots are getting higher scores when flying the real deal now.

For something like LOMAC to work Im sure the military would want it more specialized to the missions it wants to replicate, but I dont see why something like LOMAC couldn't be hooked up in a full motion simulator and used by the military. I would hope ED gets a nice fat chunk of profits from the Government for the use of the sim.lol :wink:

Dice

What are ya,? an engine guy? Where are you now? Davis Monathan?..Man, I miss my days working with the Hog drivers...I'm a former Intel guy, worked with the drivers back in 88-91..my office was right on the flight line at Alconbury...watched em coem and go, along with those shakey TR-1's...back to U2's now...

maybe the airforce could do it in an under the table way...my nephew in the Navy served on nuke boats and was a sonarman..Janes 688(i) was onboard for them to use in their spare time.

Dice

What are ya,? an engine guy?  Where are you now? Davis Monathan?..Man, I miss my days working with the Hog drivers...I'm a former Intel guy, worked with the drivers back in 88-91..my office was right on the flight line at Alconbury...watched em coem and go, along with those shakey TR-1's...back to U2's now...

IntelHog, I'm at the A-10 Depot at Hill AFB UT and I'm APG (Crew Chief) on the Hog. I work for HQ/ACC along with Depot on all the work done here, upgrades, and all the 100 other dayly issues to keep a 25 year-old airframe flying! :D

BTW-be sure to hit my website at http://www.warthogpen.com