Sign in to follow this  
Brainless

Air launch missiles

I been practicing with the effective range of the airlaunch cruise missile fired from the wonderfull F22. I hit the target with one of these from 40,000ft altitude 50 miles out!

Can anyone beat this range?

It's home for tea and medals before you've hardly left the base which I guess is what these babies are all about. :biggrin:

You won't believe this guys but I just had another go at long ranging shots with this super ordnance. I went straight out of the airbase and up to 60,000ft. Launched one Tomahawk at the runway target 160 NM out but it ran into mountains but launched the second one from 120NM out at 60,000ft and bingo I hit the runway and got the call 'mission complete return to base'. Now that's what I call orndance delivery and you don't have to worry about SAM's, ground fire or enemy interceptors.

Yes I like it and it's a damn sight easier than trying to drop a Tallboy on a ship and hitting it from 16,000ft. :biggrin:

Edited by Brainless

Which missile? I'm assuming the CALCM?

Which missile? I'm assuming the CALCM?

Nooo...its the cruise missile..you know called BGM-109c Air-launch Tomahawk..to give it its full title.

Can anyone beat this range?

Are SRAMs also an option? I usually have a hard time not to use them when flying the Aardvark. :biggrin:

Edited by Gocad

Are SRAMs also an option? I usually have a hard time not to use them when flying the Aardvark. :biggrin:

Hmm..I don't know. Never remember trying them but see what you can do and post back. You've got to beat 120NM range. :ok:

I've done roughly 300kms (not sure what it is in imperial) once by taking off, going vertical and leveling out at roughly 50-55000 ft and launching from around 20kms from my airbase. I'll try it again, see if I can get some screenies. The trick is that the terrain has to be flat since the missiles will fire directly at the target. They won't fly nap of the earth or otherwise make adjustments in their trajectory. AFAIK, only Mavericks(and other LGMs) and LGBs will track their targets assuming you have an onboard or bolt on designator. LGBs will even track aircraft!

Hmm..I don't know. Never remember trying them but see what you can do and post back. You've got to beat 120NM range. :ok:

Hmmm, I just checked the weapondata and realized that the MaxLaunchvalue is in kilometers and no nautical miles. Bummer.

Btw, the Tomahawk has a MaxLaunchRange of 1100 km. :wink: SayWhat is right, the main obstacle to have it hit its target is the terrain. But the WOE terrain is rather flat (if you ignore the south with the Alps), so that would be my the preferred target terrain.

I don't like using the tomahawk, because I can't stand the look of one being mounted on a fighter aircraft.