Sign in to follow this  
gterl

Positioning of objects on terrain (how?)

Hi,

the 'Static Aircraft on the wwiVerdun' topic brought this problem to my attention.

I was, thx to the detailed instructions, able to include the static aircrafts from the Flanders terrain into the Verdun terrain.

BUT how do you guys know where to put this stuff???

Example (taken from the Flander_targets.ini file):

Target[046].Type=GrndCrew3

Target[046].Offset=-130.50,74.00 <--------------- HOW????

Target[046].Heading=90.0

Where do you get this figures from? Is that all a kind of 'try & error'.

Problem:

Trying to position a static truck exactly on a road. I've tried with the KMD and 'le Missioneur' tools to find out the x/y positions, but it's always kind of 'nearby'.....never perfect :crazy:

Any tricks, ideas???

thx

Hi,

the 'Static Aircraft on the wwiVerdun' topic brought this problem to my attention.

I was, thx to the detailed instructions, able to include the static aircrafts from the Flanders terrain into the Verdun terrain.

BUT how do you guys know where to put this stuff???

Example (taken from the Flander_targets.ini file):

Target[046].Type=GrndCrew3

Target[046].Offset=-130.50,74.00 <--------------- HOW????

Target[046].Heading=90.0

Where do you get this figures from? Is that all a kind of 'try & error'.

Problem:

Trying to position a static truck exactly on a road. I've tried with the KMD and 'le Missioneur' tools to find out the x/y positions, but it's always kind of 'nearby'.....never perfect :crazy:

Any tricks, ideas???

thx

Download Wrench's derelict ship objects from here and read the readme thoroughly which will tell you all you need to know about how to do this. Take it from me and I'm Brainless that it's one of the best and most informative READMEs your likely to come across. It got me started on terrain object placeement and I've never looked back! :good:

Its a bit of a long time consuming process. Here is the basic way to get started.

This is from the Cambrai targes.ini file.

[TargetArea254]

Name=Talmas

Position=69750.00,111750.00 <-- these are the X,Y coordinates you can get from the KMD editor (see lower image) that tell the game here is the center of this target area

Location=1

Alignment=FRIENDLY

Target[001].Type=Church2

Target[001].Offset=-256.44,245.00 <--- These are the offsets from the central of target area from above

Target[001].Heading=90

Target[002].Type=WaterTower2

Target[002].Offset=86.32,450.08<--- These are the offsets from the central of target area from above

Target[002].Heading=180

Target[003].Type=WaterTower2

Target[003].Offset=-254.37,479.76<--- These are the offsets from the central of target area from above

Target[003].Heading=180

Here is a pic of the KMD screen and where to look to get the x,y coordinates

post-21750-1203258382_thumb.jpg

So get the location get the main loccation and then use the Target[001].Offset=- to tell the game how far off the main target area to place the object you want.

Now when trying to place things like airplanes ar other objets it can be very time consuming so dont get to frustrated.

I hope this helps some.

~S~