Sign in to follow this  
SDirickson

Can an A-6 Intruder be done?

Is it possible for the good folks down at the Skunkworks to make an A-6 Intruder? I would love to do some CAS and strikes in it, and I imagine the 3-D cockpit would be incredably impressive.

That would be great..I gotta have the F-8,or the A-7 would be nice.But I htink I read in another post that the side by side seating was giving them trouble or something along those lines.

How come? Its not like they HAVE to model the RIO's seat, or have a nice swiveling head 3D-Model. I mean, sure, it would be nice to see something like in EECH (Which had the best cockpits I've ever, EVER, seen), but not essential.

We have cleared that up, side-by-side seating is not a problem. Avionics may be but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Unfortunately our modellers are up to their flying goggles in models at the moment so we've teamed up with the Grey Ghosts and are working on converting this prowler into an A-6.

(grrrrrr, i can't find the pic...you'll have to trust me on this one)

We'll keep you informed on any updates, though things have been a little slow in the last week or two (We may have been playing something or other to death) :lol:

Hope that helps,

Denzil

Wow! Thats exactly the answer I had hoped for!

I can't wait for a Vietnam terrain set, and then I can recreate Flight of the Intruder to my heart's content.

I'll try that Flight of the Intruder campaign SD! Sounds really cool. Me and a pal have been wanting an A-6 for a long time. I hope the D.I.A.N.E. system can be modeled, thats what made the A-6 such an awesome aircraft. It stands for Digital Integrated Attack Navigational Equipment, (I LOVE the military's proclivity for acronyms, hehehe).

Excerpt taken from "The Vietnam Experiance, The Tools of War" by Time-Life Books... "The DIANE's visual display screen, a radar console in the cockpit, provided the two crewmen with a picture of the terrain in front of them regardless of weather. When the coordinates for a target were fed into the plane's computer, the time and distance to the target flashed on the screen. An onboard computer then calculated the course to the target and showed it on the DIANE screen as a 3 dimensional line on the picture of the terrain. At the end of the line the bombs could be released automatically by the computer at the correct time to hit the target."

Can this be done? If not, it'll just be another aircraft.

Well, PC, at very least you can model the radar screen, and let us hit the button :D.

ME? MODEL? I couldnt model underwear if my life depended on it...

(...and you ought to be glad.) :lol::wink:

Hmmm, seeing DIANE got me to thinking (I know that can be scary at times). I haven't heard Bitchin Betty at all, and I never really thought about it until now. I'm not sure when they introduced her, but she's played a big part in my jet sim career. :lol:

For those who don't know Betty, maybe this will help:

"Altitude...Altitude..."

"Pull Up.....Pull Up..."

And my personal favorite, because I feel she really is talking to me:

"Fire...Fire....." :shock:

LOL! Dontcha love it when yur airplane TALKS to you? Like ya dont get enough sqauwkin at home, now ya cant get enough altitude even to get away from it, Hehehe... :lol:

Betty gets rather annoying when I'm trying to ingress to a target at 50 feet in F4 for half an hour...grrrrrr...arrgggggggg...

Denzil :lol:

Wow! Thats exactly the answer I had hoped for!

I can't wait for a Vietnam terrain set, and then I can recreate Flight of the Intruder to my heart's content.

Hey SDirickson , I loved the movie " Flight of the Intruder " , I own it on vhs, BUT I can't find it anywhere on DVD. Is this available on DVD ?

LMAO!

:D You guys had me rolling with just about every post. I love it here :D

I agree the A-6 would be extremely nice. THEN how about a Nimitz class carrier? If anyone is working on this or has ANY info on the subject, please let me know!!! Otherwise, whats the use in having a tailhook?

Airstrip arresting gear?

BTW, anyone here read the next book, "The Intruders"?

0671870610.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Just as good as "Flight of the Intruder", 5th time reading it. Gets better and better.

WOOHOO! We're going to SAM CITY baby!

That book looks good Sith, my kind of readin material. I will look that one up. Did you ever read Tom Clancy's Sum of all Fears? That was a great novel there let me tell you...hehehe.

Hey sixmillion, a clerk at Wherehouse records gave me this website to visit that lists all the current releases on DVD and VHS. It is called the "Internet Movie DataBase" and can be found at www.imdb.com. Check them out...

I haven't read Sum Of All Fears, but I did just rent the DVD. It was a little slow in the beginning...or maybe I was tired...so I kind of fell asleep. The nuclear blast booming through my surround sound made me jump up in my seat!

I was wide awake after that. :shock:

The Sum of All Fears should really be read. The book is much better than the movie. Best Tom Clancy Novel; Red Storm Rising. Man, I can't WAIT to see that as a sim.[/u]

Anybody remember this? Man I spent hrs on this thing. Get a load of those system requirements in the lower left corner. Cutting edge stuff. :shock:

I upraded to a 286 12mhz w/4 megs RAM to play this and Chuck Yeagers Air Combat.

foti.jpg

Denzil,

In F4 if you hit List, then 2 you can reset your low altitude warnings :-) make em at 50 feet and its a nice silent flight..the bitch in bitchin betty is gone..

LOL

DK

Cool thanks.

Red Storm Rising is the greatest book, the tension with the subs and the tank battles and ooooh its a good book. They could make a movie out of it but it would go for 6 hours...

Sum Of All Fears is a great book, pretty sub standard movie...

Rainbow 6 i loved :D

Just finished Debt of Honour, about to start Excecutive Orders...

I'm all out of whack though, because I have already read The Bear and The Dragon (awesome) and Red Rabbit which is new...but old (Star Wars Ep 1 Styles)

Have you Flight Of the Intruder guys read all the series? Its heaps good, you have to read Final Flight which is when Jakes flying 'Cats and is about to retire...good way to finish the series.

Okay, I'm blabbing on about about books...oh dear... :?

Denzil

Oh man, Denzil! You haven't read Without Remorse? If you loved Rainbow Six then you're in for a treat. John Clark is one bad-ass dude.

As for a six hour Red Storm Rising? If they did it with a ten hour Band of Brothers (Which I just got done watching on VHS, again), then I certainly think WWIII deserves its own monolith of film. I can't understand how anybody doesn't enjoy good suspense / action / thriller novels. Unless they go in for actual history... In the words of Homer Simpson, "Ahh, the Luftwaffe. The Washington Generals of the History Channel."

Oh yeah I have read Without Remorse...love when he puts Billy(??) in the diving tank thingo...pretty sick 8)

TV miniseries of Red Storm Rising would rock hard!!!!

I read Without Remorse when I was 15 and have been enthralled with it ever since. It is by far Clancy's most 'human' book to date and I belive the peak of his creative ability. It truely stands out as one of the greatest works of the latter 20th Century.

I've stood in the very streets that he describes Clark going after the drug-pushers in Baltimore.

The most touching part was Clark picking up the prostitute so he could cook her breakfast and just be a friend. After Vietnam, with the death of his wife, he simply needed companionship. Clark actually became the most developed character with that book. Ryan never had as much inner dialogue as Clark.

And yes..I'd have to agree that Red Storm Rising would be BY FAR...THE MOST EPIC WAR MINI-SERIES EVER!!!

Imagine the scenes of the backfires streaking over the north atlantic toward the Nimitz battle group...or the A-10s saving the Marines on Iceland...MAN!!!

THAT WOULD ROCK!!!