Sign in to follow this  
FalconC45

Bought FE EP finally

Thanks, sorry you inadvertently got caught up in all this...its been simmering within me for the past couple of months.

That performance improvement was a huge undertaking - you have to test every plane against most other planes, then change and redo the FMs. There must be 60. And you have to have a starting point and a finishing point (basically TKs models), with everything fitting nicely inbetween, from Morane L to the Snipe.

Which I'm sure has made the game much more enjoyable for scores of virtual flyers. Looking forward to experiencing your work, and the work of all the other great modders! Now I'm off to try and round up all the planes, your FMs, etc. etc.

You should find almost everything here in the downloads section.

Yes, sorry for running off track. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Falcon. :blush:

edit: Oooops...Sorry Falcon, it was your thread wasn't it? :crazy:

Nah its ok. Enjoyed the discussion. I might hold off D/Ling any mods until I mastered stock planes.

Falcon

Nah its ok. Enjoyed the discussion. I might hold off D/Ling any mods until I mastered stock planes.

Falcon

I am thinking about to buy FE , so what I have to do?

Buy FE and mod it , or FE+EP?

Have no idea after reading all this discussion!

same here...but since the expansion pack costs as much / more than the original perhaps I will dither

"same here...but since the expansion pack costs as much / more than the original perhaps I will dither"

The Expansion Pack comes with some very nice new models (DR1 in particular) and includes lots of improvements in terrains and FM. It is similar to the improvement WOI made to WOE. If you give it a test drive, I think you'll be suitably impressed.

You have to have First Eagles for the EP to work. The Expansion Pack is an add-on not a stand alone. There should be a patch coming for First Eagles that will incorporate the improvements made in the Expansion Pack but it won't have the new terrain and planes that come with the EP. The Expansion Pack is an improvement over First Eagles in a lot of areas however there are compatibility issues with third party aircraft...mostly AI. Thats what most of the discussions about FE vs. FE+EP are about. A fully modded First Eagles is no slouch of a flightsim IMHO. If you want, buy First Eagles and patch it up to Patch 2 v.02.19.07 and see if you like it. I'd already had First Eagles for quite some time so buying the EP wasn't a factor for me. In fact the Expansion Pack actually has more new stuff (1 new Terrain, new flyable aircraft with several variations of those, ie 2 Alb DIIIs, three Camels, the Alb DV and DVa, the DR1, plus getting the 2 AI SPAD VIIs flying is an easy mod) than the original for the same price. I can understand not wanting to spend $60US sight unseen though. The main sticking point for getting everything going in the EP right now is the upcoming patch and what possible further changes it will make. Nobody wants to spend too much time working on incorporating all the add-ons and A/C etc until the patch is released and we see whats going on with it.

I'll throw my 2 cents onto the fire if anyone cares to hear it.

The thing I like about the expansion pack version of the game is that it's overall difficulty is noticeably higher (especially in hard mode). The aircraft handle differently than they did in the original game and are more tricky to fly. And the AI controlling the opposing aircraft is much improved (in my humble opinion). The AI planes behave much more as if they are flow by a human opponent. It is harder to get on their six and stay there, and it is also much harder to shake them off of your six. This heightened difficulty level makes the game more fun and chanllenging to me. I was getting a little complacent in the pre EP version of the game. I don't want to sound too uppity, but it had gotten to the point for me at least, to be a bit too easy. The EP version takes the "too easy" aspect away and make the game more challenging and difficult.

In addition, I've tried a few of the addon planes that were made for the pre EP game in the EP version of the game and for the most part, at least to me, they are basicially not that useable in the EP version. When flying one of these planes you are simply Fokker Fodder, no matter what your opponents are flying. Even if they are models your plane should be superior to.

So..... For the pros versus cons of pre EP versus EP versions;

If you like the way the first FE plays and it is a fun challenge maybe you should stick with it. After all there are loads of great addon aircraft and missions for it.

However, if you would like to have the gave give you a tougher time, get the expansion pack. Maybe if we're lucky the talented guys, like peter01 and firecage and all the others, who made all the great mods for the original game will grace us with some equally great mods for the newer version of FE.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Hey there, bezpete. Welcome to CombatACE. Great first post and thanks for your comments. Pull up a chair and make yourself at home. :good: