eraser_tr

1971 India-Pakistan war

Could use a little help, I'm researching the topic of the 1971 war India and Pakistan fought after which Bangladesh gained independance and everything leading up to the war.

I've seen tons about the US's ambiguous policy as well as details on India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. But I'm looking for the West's stance beyond the US. specifically Italy's or NATO's stance on the matter.

I dont mean to be crass but I dont think Italian opinion really mattered until Sonia Gandhi came to the fore :blush2: . But gimme until after Saturday( got some law exams to give) and Ill see what I can rustle up. But its pretty bleak so far; spent half an hr, and came up dry. U.N didnt do squat let alone Nato.

Chew on this for starters :scout:

http://merln.ndu.edu/archive/icg/indiakashmir.pdf

Its not what you asked for but it will give you an insight into the various political opinions that hold sway in this "great" country and the influence they might weild on the International community if the were the majority.

Could use a little help, I'm researching the topic of the 1971 war India and Pakistan fought after which Bangladesh gained independance and everything leading up to the war.

I've seen tons about the US's ambiguous policy as well as details on India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. But I'm looking for the West's stance beyond the US. specifically Italy's or NATO's stance on the matter.

I have a few boks on the 71 war. Let me see what I can find. IIRC, among the major European countries, France was the only one that supported India's stance. Soviet Union was supportive of India's moves and had a Soviet Navy task force shadowing the USS Enterprise task group that was supposed to enter the Bay of Bengal. PRC, as usual, was anti-India in the UN , but then when have they been pro-India? :rolleyes: .

Sheesh I have searched and searched online but nothing on the Italian angle or for that matter Nato's.

Maybe you would like to elaborate a little on what your target plan is. Italian from U.N point of view or what?

I found this pretty informative but Im sure on two things either you've seen it before or its irrelevant if your focus is restricted to what you mentioned;http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1984/KRG.htm

You could try going into the India Today archives. They might have something but a word of caution- at that time Indira Gandhi had lot of influence on the printed word so thats that

Yes, Italy from the UN, thanks for the help, that globalsecurity document was the icing on the cake with one of the most difficult papers I've ever had to write. Now all that remains is to argue it in person against the ivy league crowd down in Mexico!