Sign in to follow this  
Dave

3 in 10 Americans Admit to Racial Bias

Now I am all for immigrations and new people coming to this country (I am for it to my core, even though my ancestors have been here since the beginning.) But illegal immigration makes a mockery of this country and it is unfair to the masses who come here and have to wait in line to enter, wait for a work permit, and then wait X amount of years to be naturalized. And they have to suffer because certain groups of people (within and outside of this country) refuse to follow the rules that everyone has to abide by.

Yea, what he said!

Let me tell you a story...this happened in 1999.

My wife is Canadian, born and raised. At the time we got married, I was living in Del Rio, TX, 3 miles from the US/Mexico border. After all the hoop jumping that we had to do so we could married in Tampa, FL, a last-second snag popped up.

Basically, she had gotten this 'checklist' of things to do to make sure her visa was all lined up and got it all done 3 days before she was scheduled to depart to Tampa.

However, when she turned in her list, she then was handed ANOTHER checklist, saying 'Oh yeah, you gotta get this done too'.

I exploded with a giant 'WTF?' at the State Department...why couldn't they have given us just ONE overall checklist! Well, I called my Congressman in Florida, and had a not so nice conversation...

And happened to ask him point blank, exactly why is it that I see illegals easily getting in...but my soon to be wife, who has a masters degree, and whose country we share a border BUT NOT A FENCE with, gets harrassed because you don't have your sierra together enough to make one simple checklist?!?!?!

It got fixed.

Anyway, back on topic...biases exist everywhere. We are products of many influences growing up. When we're younger, these generalizations make life simpler. But, as we get older and start making our own judgements, and figure out that life isn't quite one or zero, we use our intelligence to overcome those biases by applying logic to varying degrees.

Respect has to go both ways. And also, sensitivity is overrated. Either you can't offend anyone, or you have to offend everyone. I'll take offend everyone please...

FastCargo

Back in my musician days I dealt with a lot of prejudice from "mainstream" community. Granted, I chose to have long hair and live the life I was living but I refuse to live my life to someone elses standards/expectations. What you do when this happens is you man up cuz you just aren't going to be accepted by anyone and/or everyone. I figured if someone didn't like me cuz of the way I looked that was their problem.

Back in my musician days..........

I heard you play the pan flute...... :biggrin:

I looked really cool playing it....................