Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stiglr

Modding and Realism

Guest Stiglr
Nobody believes the plane had a cockpit of an entirely different plane! Most people understand that a real Ki-61 (or whatever plane it was) doesn't have a hurricane's pit, but that the modder used it for the sake of getting the plane into a useable condition so they could play with it.

Nobody "believes it", but apparently, few here even care about the obvious inaccuracy.

Let me re-ask the "where's the line for accuracy and quality?" question another way and see if you won't answer it stated that way:

If a 3D shape looks like an F-4D, and the skin's immaculate, but it's knowingly coded with the flight model of, say, a MiG-21, (or any other plane that isn't remotely close to the FM dynamics of a Phantom) is it "OK" to announce, "OK, here's my F-4D mod"? At what point of quality or (in)accuracy does the nicely-skinned, but completely inacurately modeled F-4 stop really being an F-4?

Then, again, once you answer that, change FM to cockpit geometries and answer again.

I do fully understand the concept of a stand-in pit just to get the plane into the sim, provided the plan is eventually that it gets a proper pit. But my assertion of "a pit for each plane" is on a slightly higher level than just "getting by to get a plane in the game.

Edited by Stiglr

Guest USNadpc

Arrogance at the expense of insecurity to fulfill the need of Superiority.

USNadpc

Seriously. Just, for the love of heavens, seriously. This argument is getting old. Very old, in fact.

The problem with pits is NOT a TW-only scenario, since pretty much part of the modding community for ANY GAME would go through a problem like this. If you think this is bad, then have a look at the modding community for LOMAC. If mismatched pits is enough for you to start a major topic like this, what about planes with a MERE EXTERNAL 3D MODEL SWAP (example, everyone must have heard of the ADA mod's Mirage 2000-5 external model, with a MiG-29S flight model, cockpit, etc, except for weapons loadout)? It could have been worse, since everything is hard-coded, which means as long as we do not have the source code for LOMAC (which we would never will have, by the way), we would never any radical mods (until the USN mod guys work their magic, hopefully).

Even one of the mods for the champion of Switchtology, that is, the Red Viper for Falcon 4.0 (it's quite an awesome mod, and I hope we can see more in RV2, since a lot has been promised), suffers from bits of this problem with mismatched pits. Well, if a pit that functionally resembled the original aircraft's pit, for ONE aircraft, is a problem for you, then how about the pit of an F-16 in at least few of the planes (Tornados and Flankers, to mention just a few)? I applaud the decision of the mod makers to incorporate 3D pits in RV2.

We should be lucky that TW games are flexible enough for us to incorporate our own improvements. We should even be happy that there are people making rather obscure planes for us to toy with.

Edited by kct

This is pure wankerism. You've made your point about accuracy/individual pits. The rarefied air up there must be something. But it doesn't matter what YOU think. Other people think differently.................... and people get on with it................ the community survives and we all move on.

I drive a car................ I've played around with GTR Legends, etc., etc. Loadsafun, but it doesn't feel like a real car, because a computer with screen isn't a real car. I treat air stuff the same way. Fun, but I realize it can't possibly be the real thing,............... just like 'driving' a computer car doesn't feel real.

Okay folks, I think this topic has gone on as far as it can go.

At this point, any more pressing the issue is just talking to hear oneself talk.

This topic is considered closed. If you have business to attend to with specific members, take it to PM.

FastCargo