Sign in to follow this  
heinkill

Storm of War: some new details

Storm of war, is it real?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe Storm of war will see the light of day?

• YES, and I'll be getting it!
    • YES, but who cares?
    • NO, it's vapourware

Inside the Storm of War team!

Those who wish to believe SoW is vapourware should stop reading now. Game developer Yogy has just posted (in his native German) an account of his recent visit to Maddox studios in Moscow.

The size and structure of the Maddox team may surprise you. Read the translated article here.

http://www.freewebs.com/heinkill/stormofwarnews.htm

I've been waiting for this for quite some time now. Unfortunately, I have in my mind's eye how I want this to play and I feel I'll be sorely let down if it turns out to be "Il-2 v5.0"

Yes the visuals are much improved, but how about the FMs, DMs, and the AI?? Will .50s work as well as they should? Will every big radial engined plane still flip on its back when you pull back too fast? Will the AI still have the ability to outaccelerate or outdecelerate you at a whim like they have airbrakes and afterburners?

While I enjoy the time/theaters/planes of Il-2, I often find dogfighting more enjoyable in TK's sims because of how much they do NOT frustrate me!

Guest Stiglr

Yes, he's got a decent sized team.... but he had that for the life of IL-2.

And, I have to take umbrage at the number of things they got WRONG rather than just what they did right. It's the reason I'm not flying '46 now.

So, my question is, although I see some things in there that could be improvements... the question is will they be properly implemented?

Will we still see the same problem with the gunsight view of a FW190, and with nothing done about armored glass refraction (which is the real solution to the sight's position in the cockpit)?

Is the energy bleed of planes still going to be WAY OFF?

Will AI gunners be able to put the first flexgun round through your forehead when the bomber is inverted?

Will AI planes still be so far off the FM limits placed on the players that they appear to be "cheating"?

These are the things I'd have to KNOW were fixed before I'd even consider buying SoW. because as it is now, I get frustrated flying IL-2 because of the "b*llsh*t" factor. I experience too many of the things mentioned above to enjoy flying longer than about half an hour.

If they were fixed, it'd certainly be worth taking a look at, since we all know it's going to look GREAT.

Yes, he's got a decent sized team.... but he had that for the life of IL-2.

And, I have to take umbrage at the number of things they got WRONG rather than just what they did right. It's the reason I'm not flying '46 now.

So, my question is, although I see some things in there that could be improvements... the question is will they be properly implemented?

Will we still see the same problem with the gunsight view of a FW190, and with nothing done about armored glass refraction (which is the real solution to the sight's position in the cockpit)?

Is the energy bleed of planes still going to be WAY OFF?

Will AI gunners be able to put the first flexgun round through your forehead when the bomber is inverted?

Will AI planes still be so far off the FM limits placed on the players that they appear to be "cheating"?

These are the things I'd have to KNOW were fixed before I'd even consider buying SoW. because as it is now, I get frustrated flying IL-2 because of the "b*llsh*t" factor. I experience too many of the things mentioned above to enjoy flying longer than about half an hour.

If they were fixed, it'd certainly be worth taking a look at, since we all know it's going to look GREAT.

For me, the reality is that by the time it comes out, it would have been about 5-8 years since we had a decent new WWII prop sim to play with. Of course I will buy it - I'll be starving for a new prop sim by then!!

It would have to be completely bug ridden and unplayable not to!

Bah it will be another "Won t3h war" Allies have to win "simulation" probably. Why would anybody bother taking the time to fly over 5000hrs in Olegs 109 only to have a keyboard n00b flying circles around you after 2h(including torrent download)of flying.

It shouldn't be called SOW:BOB but WTW:GS(Won Teh War: Germans Suck).

I'll be waiting for SOW:Korea by Luthier and will consider Oleg's new WW2 sim ONLY and ONLY if one of the suckers that buys it tell's me the stupidity is gone. There's no way I'll spend loads of cash to be able to play something like il2 v5.0 like Jedi Master says...

Anyone ever noticed the blind, rabid Il-2 faithful are always the ones that only fly online and never against the AI?

When you're flying against other people who have the same limits as you, I can see how it would seem better. Yet if you fly offline or coop against the AI you can find all new sorts of ways to curse Oleg's team...

The main problem I had is with Oleg's "we have it right" attitude. Then every patch introduces to changes to at least a few planes if not more!! Well, does that mean it's NOT right now? Or was it not right before? It can't have been right then AND right now if it's changed, can it? Oh, and the online MP-whiners got far too much attention from them. The ruination of the trim system being a major case in point. I can barely work with it now because of how slow it works, but oh, "people are cheating by using trim to turn tighter! WAH!!" Well, that doesn't work in a real airplane, so if it worked here...trim was done wrong! Do they fix it? No, let's have "trim delay"! :rolleyes: