But it's got 4 blades, it will lose it's "whop-whop" noise...

:blink:

I read an article on the updates to the USMC helicopter fleet with the yankee and zulu. I think it was in Combat Aircraft in July or so. It is amazing that these birds have been so useful, upgradeable, and the longevity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AH-1Z

I love the Cobra so much. Such a narrow profile. Prefer it over the apache.

:biggrin:

OK, I was in the marines in the 90's. I grew up playing with a GI Joe Dragonfly (loosely based on the cobra and I still have it). Never could get over the size of the apache. The cockpit area and fuselage just seemed large to me. I am not saying that it is not a capable platform. I just prefer what the Corps uses in the MAGTF. Stick with the home team.

Edited by Hawk MMS

I like Cobras too.

The principal advantage the Apache had over the Cobra was its engines, and the AH-1W solved that problem.

The beauty of the Huey/Cobra family was commonality, nice to see that being maintained with the UH-1Y/AH-1Z.

These days cost-effectiveness is so much more important than absolute performance.

I am sure the decision to go stay with the Huey/Cobra family will prove to be the best option for the Marines.