Sign in to follow this  
peter01

September FM Update

Going away on several weeks holidays...and thought i'd upload some FMs before that. Probably in a couple of days.

These are not just quick updates, as per most of the other FM updates recently, these are some major rework, and on the whole many are definitely as good as I can do. Not perfect, for various reasons, see below, but generally a great improvement IMO. I won't be doing anything much or more on most of these, though damage modelling and AI can always be tweaked, just takes some time and testing/playing.

Still intend redoing some other earlier FMs, mainly wing warping monoplanes mainly due to roll. The major changes in this lot are mainly to allied 1917-1918 planes.

Oct 2007 EP of course. Why continue with improving Oct 2007 FMs? Partly I'd like a full set of planes to work with one version, and now. The other reason relates to converting FMs to say the April 2008 Patch. Have tried it and its not too bad, some are better some are not, on whole pretty good (AI is just as hard to change, changed completely between versions). But its certainly the case that the better the basic FM, say for Oct 2007 version, the better they are once converted to the April 2008 version. I expect that the next version will change the FM and AI again, but its likely that logic will follow there too....i hope.

There's a bit of a mix, some AI only changes, some minor changes, mostly major FM changes.

N11, N16, N17, N17bis. AI changes only, mainly to reduce nieuport AI diving as much, bit unrealistic for nieuports.

Halberstadt D3, Fokker D2. AI changes, Fokker DII especially was too good as AI.

Pfalz EV, Fokkers EIV/EVa. Changed, more difficult to fly and roll reduced. still feel good I think, if not better. Intend redoing some early mono wing warpers, I guess this is an indication of how they will tend to be.

FokkerD7. Minor change, just roll reduced and a bit more stable.

Pup, Tripe, F2b, Dolphin, Se5a, Snipe, N28, Spad13, FokkerDr1, PfalzD3. Major changes. Stalls are far more pronounced then previously (its probably how I will do it for the next version) and many require a lighter touch less ham fisted approach. N28 is good example of this, its very capable, but less effective if you just throw it around. Roll reduced on most, this seems easy, its not, but its an improvement I think. Also the distinction between rotaries and others are becoming quite evident I think, rotaries are less smooth. Some things worth pointing out:

Dolphin. 4 and 2 Gun versions, thanks to p10ppy, but otherwise same FM. The default is the 2 gun one. There are backups of each version in the folder hopefully clearly named so you can delete default and copy another pick and choose.

F2b. Overwing Lewis and Without Lewis versions from Mike Dora's idea, and in folder with backups of each, same FM. Default is Without Overhead Lewis. This F2b FM is a good turner, in order to reflect that the F2b was the equal to any ww1 fighter, and my understanding is "amazingly nimble". It climbed about as well as the Camel and Se5a too. From wikpedia - "was fast and manoeuvrable enough to be flown in combat more or less like a single-seat fighter; the pilot's fixed forward-firing gun serving as the principal weapon, with the observer's flexible gun serving mainly as a bonus "sting in the tail". Flown in this manner the Bristol Fighter was a formidable opponent for any German single-seater". If you don't agree/like this, keep the previous FM.

Se5a. A tough FM to do, requires some compromises. Roll is too good, but if I reduce it just kills the FM. It needs to be flown as a ZnB'er to maximise the Aldis. Damage modelling may need to be improved.

Fokker Dr1. Two FMs, TKs with AI changes and mine. Default is mine. I'm really very happpy with this, an improvement to what I posted before, but its your choice.

Thanks Peter01! As always, very much looking forward to them all.

You deserve a great vacation.

We would be grateful if we had to wait until you got back for these!

sinbad

Very good, Peter01! I'm becoming a FE-addicted! But I'd also like new FM's in other planes, for example, Pfalz Dr1, Farman Longhorn/Shorthorn, Fokker DIIIL, Pomilio etc. I know it's a lot of work, but maybe in next release?

By the way, what are the best terrain/sky mods for stock maps? I have Edwards terrains and they are much better than the stock ones.