Sign in to follow this  
column5

Google Chrome

One interesting note: The "Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik" (Federal Agency for Security in Information Technology) is warning not to use Crome - it is unsafe and works as a kind of "data collector" (sending your browsing caracteristics direct to google...)!

Oh man, I just googled 'chrome spyware' and I got some results! Reading now..http://www.favbrowser.com/google-chrome-spyware-confirmed/

Meh, I have trouble believing Google is secretly spying on our surfing habits. That whole spyware thing is probably when you check in the option to send statistics.

No, it's not! It is "build in" - if you read that text you click away at the installation you can see you agree the browser sending your surfing behavior to google...

Don't forget Chrome is new technology. If it's communicating to google.com it's probably to help you out.

thank you very much, oh mighty google, but I prefer to keep my private data to myself. therefore, Opera shall not leave this pc. ever.

i'm not too convinced. aside from the fact that i certainly don't plan to use a browser in beta (knowing google it might be quite some time, if ever, it leaves the beta stage) there are just too many valid concerns raised on the issue of privacy (starting with that Terms of Service blunder on release).

we'll just have to wait and see how things fold out.

if they manage to get it right i'll be more than happy to switch, but i just don't see that happening. a lot of "shady" people want to see google fail, so i think chrome will be extremely often targeted by malware creators.

Google collects personal information...one must realize that just because you sit in front of a computer in your home does NOT make it private...kind of like having a party in a college town...hard to control who shows up, eh?

i'm not too convinced. aside from the fact that i certainly don't plan to use a browser in beta (knowing google it might be quite some time, if ever, it leaves the beta stage) there are just too many valid concerns raised on the issue of privacy (starting with that Terms of Service blunder on release).

we'll just have to wait and see how things fold out.

if they manage to get it right i'll be more than happy to switch, but i just don't see that happening. a lot of "shady" people want to see google fail, so i think chrome will be extremely often targeted by malware creators.

You're missing out on a very good browser for no concrete reasons my friend.

You probably wouldn't even know Chrome was beta unless told. Google mail is still beta but millions of people have been using it for a long time.

There are no privacy issues. I seriously doubt Google is out to spy on you. These are the good guys of the internet remember.

A lot more shady people want to see Microsoft fail, and as far as I know, IE is secure.

I've been using Opera for years, but I think I'll be using Chrome now. I'm also noticing that it's faster than Opera and that is surprising! :yes:

Bear in mind Google make money purely from advertising things, so they scan your googlemail messages so they can put contextualised ads in the margin, they scan your web browsing to stick ads down the side and at the top of your web searches. By building the web browser they can get even more information about your surfing habits so they can find new 'better' ways to advertise stuff to you. So in at least one way Google are out to spy on you.

I've also never heard anyone call a Microsoft product secure before, but I probably spend too much time reading the register.

Well IE is secure meaning, if I use it as my main browser for a month, I doubt I'll get any problems. Unless I don't security update etc..

True last moths security update did fix six critical vulnerabilities in IE, there can't be that many left!

I have started using Goggle chrome and its surprisingly good.

I'm not worried about privacy cause there is no such thing anymore and it hasn't started today.

I have started using Goggle chrome and its surprisingly good.

I'm not worried about privacy cause there is no such thing anymore and it hasn't started today.

And that is if there's a privacy issue with to begin with. From what I've seen on the web, looks like the experts have analysed Chrome (the thing is open source for crying out loud) and there's is nothing wrong with it.