Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

Strange issue with overcast layer...

Hey folks,

I just noticed a strange issue with the overcast layer in my F4AF (1.13) install. I haven't played much lately, and I recently reinstalled windows XP, so I can't exactly pinpoint when this started happening or what I did at the time.

During campaigns, the overcast layer will have random sections flickering. Hopefully some of you understand what I'm talking about, as this seems to be a farily common issue with games and video cards. I'm sure this is probably a video card or driver issue, but there isn't much I can do since I have an Intel GMAx3100 integrated card.

What's strange is that it doesn't happen if I start in the air (ie - Instrument Landing training mission, or select an in progress mission in a campaign). If I start in the air, the overcast layer is just fine. Exit the mission, join a flight that hasn't taken off yet, get in the air, and the issue's back.

It also seems to happen more often when looking from above rather than looking from below.

Like I said, I'm sure the root cause is some graphics card issue, but there isn't much I can do about that. I'm hoping, though, someone might have some idea why it only happens in missions I start from the ground. If I can figure that out, maybe I can get it resolved.

Thanks!

*edit* - one idea... Could this be a 1.0.13 issue? Were there any changes from 1.0.12 to 1.0.13 that could have caused this?

Edited by malibu43

I will say with almost 100% certainty this is because of your Intel integrated graphics chip. I can't say why it didn't occur in previous patches or why it only happens in certain instances, but that is definitely the cause of your trouble.

I will say with almost 100% certainty this is because of your Intel integrated graphics chip. I can't say why it didn't occur in previous patches or why it only happens in certain instances, but that is definitely the cause of your trouble.

Thanks for the feedback. I did a little more investigating after I posted this. Not only does it only happen if I start on the ground, but it also appears to be limited to when I take off from Seoul from very near to or under the cloud cover. I flew to find some overcast in the balkans, and everything was fine. I took off from another airport near Seoul (I forget which one), and I could see the overcast on the horizon, but I wasn't very close. I flew over to it and had no problems at all.

So, I still have no idea what's going there, but at least I know it's limited to certain situations that I can, for the most part, avoid.

:good:

The good news for you is the X3100 is the BEST Intel integrated chip they ever made.

However, that's a bit like saying "This is the best Yugo ever built".