Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Shimmering Water Fix for Sept 08 Patch

Go to the terrain fodler and find the terrain that is giving you the problem.

Example: If its the Vietnam terrain that is giving you problems then look for the VIETNAMSEA_data.INI

Then add this information.

[HeightOffset]

LowDetailMesh=-1.0

WaterMesh=0.8

Water problem should be cleared.

• Like 1

In addition to the [HeightOffset] section fix found here

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...mp;#entry198710

open the terrainxxx_data.ini and check these lines

[TerrainMesh]

TextureThreshold=0.80

LowDetailMeshThreshold=0.50

MedDetailMeshThreshold=0.30

TileToHeightGridRatio=4

RenderMeshVertexCount=4096

RenderMeshIndexCount=6144

SolidObjectVertexCount=4096

SolidObjectIndexCount=6144

AlphaObjectVertexCount=2048 <============= change to 4096

AlphaObjectIndexCount=3072 <============= change to 6144

I've noticed this in a number of the terrains, and changeing those numbers in conjunction with the [HeightOffest] entries fixed the flashing shapes in my install, but neither method alone did the trick. Some of the newer terrains have these two AlphaObjectXXXCount= as higher multiples (2x etc) of what I've suggested above so use what works best, but I'd suggest starting with these.

I know that this info has been useful to several people. Could it please be added to to KB for future reference.

Great news for those of you who, like myself, had given up hope of fixing the water shimmering issue. I've finally cracked it!

What I did was a clean install of WOI, I then extracted and checked the Israel Data.ini and noted the following parameters:

[HeightOffset]

LowDetailMesh=-1.0

WaterMesh=1.0

With the default setting I was getting a bit of shimmering but not too distracting, then I applied the latest patch, the result: horrible shimmering.

I checked the new Israel Data.ini after the patch and found that the parameters had been lowered to those recommended in the Combat Ace KB, i.e.

[HeightOffset]

LowDetailMesh=-1.0

WaterMesh=0.8

So I decided to go against received wisdom and increase the parameter, finally arriving at the following:

[HeightOffset]

LowDetailMesh=-1.0

WaterMesh=1.8