Sign in to follow this  
future_tuskegee_airman

F-35 LightningII STOVL In Flight Pics

I just thought this was interesting. I was browsing on hyperscale.com and found these pics

image011_fs.jpg

image010_fs.jpg

image009_fs.jpg

image008_fs.jpg

image007_fs.jpg

image006_fs.jpg

image005_fs.jpg

image004_fs.jpg

image001_fs.jpg

1_fs.jpg

image002_fs.jpg

IMHO I think that the F-35 looks like a very clean aircraft, but the only thing that kind've amazed me is that the navy was considering that the F-35C be built without and internal gun! (to save weight is the official reason)

I honestly hope that the Navy Dept doesn't repeat the mistakes that they made during before Vietnam! (Sound Familiar...Hint Hint *F-4 Phantom 2)

Nice shots. In the hover mode, what are the second set of doors for on top of the fuselage? I'm guessing the front set are for the lift fan, but I'm not sure what the pair behind that are for, is it some sort of auxiliary intake for the engine? Also curious as to weather anyone knows what the plan is if any of the doors refuse to work, e.g. if you're mid ocean how do you land back on the carrier?

The STOVL and CV versions will have a gun pod designed for the centerline station. The Air Force's CTOL is the only with an internal gun.

I'm guessing the front set are for the lift fan, but I'm not sure what the pair behind that are for, is it some sort of auxiliary intake for the engine?

Yep

The STOVL and CV versions will have a gun pod designed for the centerline station. The Air Force's CTOL is the only with an internal gun.

So if they have a centerline gun pod, won't there be a lack of accuracy because of vibration just like the Phantom pilots complained about during Vietnam?

So if they have a centerline gun pod, won't there be a lack of accuracy because of vibration just like the Phantom pilots complained about during Vietnam?

I'm guessing it depends on how it's mounted. The 'Toom gunpod was on a pylon which introduced an extra element of flex, if you look at something like the Harrier the pods are more closely integrated to the fuselage which should reduce flex to negligible amounts. You're also dealing with 40 odd years of advance in materials engineering.

Just noticed in the pictures there's a tip vortex from the wing-tip, and the outer edge of the aileron. Never seen that before but the way they wrap round each other seems to be showing the larger vortex generated by the span wise flow etc.

Edited by SkippyBing

sure is a nicely proportioned plane, but the best part by far is that Canadian flag on the side!

yeah, the tip vortex is neat, the air musta been really damp for the alerons to have their own contrail!

I'm guessing that it is also capable of a conventional carrier "landing" if the fan doors get jammed, but all those parts must make for a maintinence nightmere!

Edited by Rambler 1-1

I'm guessing that it is also capable of a conventional carrier "landing" if the fan doors get jammed, but all those parts must make for a maintinence nightmere!

I don't think you could stick a hook on that if you wanted. Look at the underside - the hook would have to be well forward to not interfere with the doors for the moving nozzle.

I'm thinking if you can't make the vertical landing you're s.o.l. The helo guys will be picking you out of the drink. Not to mention, if these guys are going to be Marine Air, then they're going to be deploying on the big deck amphibs - last I checked they don't have any arresting gear to take, so you'd have to hope there's a CVN somewhere within fuel range.

yeah, I see that there's no hook, but you could also possibly land into the net... at least then you wouldn't lose the plane.

Last I checked, yeah, it would have to go abard a carrier in the barrier, cause LHDs dont have it as I recall.

sure is a nicely proportioned plane, but the best part by far is that Canadian flag on the side!

yeah, the tip vortex is neat, the air musta been really damp for the alerons to have their own contrail!

I agree, it would be a nightmare!!! first you have all the extra actuators, and then the rigging to go alog with it...then the ops checks.

No thank you.