Sign in to follow this  
Baltika

Red Wings Over Dhimar v1.0

Red Wings Over Dhimar v1.0

RED WINGS OVER DHIMAR

Campaign mod for SFG

by Baltika

This is a very simple .ini edit to enable Red-flyable squadrons in the stock Burning Sands campaign for SFG. It is tested only in SFG with the Oct 2008b patch, although it should probably work fine in SFP1 as well, and the level of patch should not really be an issue. It WILL NOT work in WoV/WoE/WoI unless you have the stock desert terrain installed to those games, so be warned.

Of course, I spent a day putting this together and then found the old Red Wings campaign lurking on a back-up of my old SFP1 mods. I can't remember where this was d/led from, and it certainly doesn't seem to be available now (maybe at avsim?).

Anyway, the art of making Red-side flyable campaigns seems to have fallen by the wayside, so it's probably no bad thing that this version be uploaded for all to use. The campaign files will not write over the stock Burning Sands campaign, so don't worry if you have a modded stock campaign, eg with vinman's Burning Sands upgrades.

This is a back-to basics mod.

I run it on

Stock SFG

Patched to October 2008b

No weapons packs or anything else. If you have Bunyap's pack installed, you may beed to edit the supply entries for each flyable air unit (in the campaign_data.ini) to get the correct weapons to show up.

You will need to make the stock MiGs flyable - but if you are d/ling this campaign, you've already done that, right ;-)

If not, you will need to install these pits:-

MiG-19S Pit by ordway

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=6519

MiG-17F Pit by ordway

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=6469

Su-7BM Pit by Kukulino, modded from boopidoo's Su-15TM pit

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=6159

MiG-21F / PF / PFM pit by Paladrian

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=1919

MiG-21MF Pit by Paladrian

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=1745

I STRONGLY ADVISE that you DO NOT use the modded aircraft_DATA.inis supplied with some of these pits - they do not incorporate all the FM and AI tweaks to the stock FMs included with the new patch, so you will be busting your MiG down to a previous version if you do.

Also, I have not included hangar screens or loading screens for the MiGs, but there are such things available if you want to add them in.

I have set up the d/l package so it should be obvious where everything has to go. I have included a new mainscreen and title music, and Badger's Red-side Pilot Record Screen which is definitely Red-side orientated, so do not install the items in the SFG/Menu folder if you want to keep your existing mainscreen and title music.

For that full-on Soviet experince, you may want to go the whole hog and install one of the Soviet comms mods available at CA.

Any questions, give me shout on combatace.

Cheers,

Baltika

31 October 2008

Credits:

MainScreen.wav

"White Army, Black Baron"

A famous march from the Russian Revolution, by Pokrass and Grigoriev

Sung by the Red Army Choir

For the Original "Red Wings — Soviet Campaign for Strike Fighters: Project One"

Credit due to:

R. Lee “Banger” Sullivan

Beta testing by Jeff "STORM" Stoermer

Pilot-record screen by Joe “Badger” Younger

Im one of the "different" sort who like playing the Red side in a battle or campaign. The original Red Wings was cool. Thanks for the addon for the Parani forces...very nice, no problems so far.

Hi pcpilot,

Glad you're enjoying the add-on, and whilst as a Scot who got my first taste of real flight in an RAF Chipmunk trainer at school, and spent a fair whack of my teenage years square-bashing around RAF bases in Germany on Cadet Force "holidays" :rofl: getting my arse kicked by the SAS, for the avoidance of doubt I am resolutely pro-West and pro-democracy, and hugely supportive of our men & women in the armed forces - although the damn politicians have a lot to answer for - I, too, have that "different" curiosity about flying Red side. The fact that, being as I am, more of WW2 prophead, yank and bank is more my style, so the early MiGs have that edge, helps as well :yes:

But it really comes down to the fact that, in my personal dawn of PC gaming, I much preferred flying TIE Fighter to X-Wing. . . :blink: Perhaps I should change the Mainscreen.wav to the Imperial March from Empire Strikes Back - Da Da Daah Daah Da-Da Daah Da-Da :wink:

Anyway, it is good advice to know thine enemy. I am still waiting to hear that Iceland HAVE accepted that Euro 4Bn bail-out offer from Moscow, and that as a quid-pro-quo the Soviet Air Force WILL be taking up residence at the former BIKF Keflavik NAS. . .

. . . Which would add some some spice to those North Atlantic campaign scenarios I have in mind for when I finish Iceland terrain.

But I am sure this is all getting too political :sorry: To take a completely neutral gaming perspective, it seems to me to make sense to make both sides flyable where that is possible. I must say the response in terms of downloads has been more than I expected, so there must be an interest. To that end I am working on expanding the flyable types (MiG15bis, MiG15bisBS, Yak-25, Su-9A etc) and looking at some other existing campaigns for "conversion" - JSF_Aggie's Harrier campaign is so well put together it is crying out for a Red-side conversion, and the thought of "WARPAC Fighters" is irresistable (if only to see what C5 would say about it - well, he has signed up to the "fair use" agreement, so I guess I don't really need his permission to make his NATO Fighters campaigns Red-side flyable :wink::biggrin: )

So, to that end, suggestions, requests, and comments on further "Red Wings" campaigns are most welcome - what do you want to fly, and where, and we'll see what we can whip up :yes:

Cheers all,

Baltika

Yeah Batilka, dont let the lack of replies bug ya too much. Ive been modding off and on for a number of years here and elsewhere and to get a single reply is doing good, lol. You got the right idea to watch the number of downloads grow. THATS where the reward comes in. Well, got shot down last night by quad .50s as I strafed a parked aircraft so my first attempt at a campaign is over. Im going to start up again tonight after a fresh install...;o)

Thank you for the add on! I have reinstalled SFP1 and add your ideas. Other add ons I have in the original campaign:

-More planes installed in the game (more possible Merc planes): Lightning, F-106, F-105, F-101 A, F-101 C...

-Mercs start the campaign flying the F-101 A (no nuclear weapons)

-A PVO squadron (flyable) with Yak-25, then Su-9B and later Su-11 (just in case the evil imperialists decide to deploy strategic bombers against the defenseless people of Paran)

-New Nation: Dogs of War. They are red sided Mercs. It's interesting, do you earn more money as red side or as blue side?

By the way, the WARPAC Fighters thing is a very good idea. I like to add the red side flyable in all campaigns. I have done it in The Dragon campaign (added a lot of planes too: J-10, J-8, J-8II, SuperHornet and a Spanish squadron too) and it's very funny (and very hard too)

Good suggestions, thanks :good:

This is awesome! Nice to be able to easily set up a Red campaign with the new patch!

Thank You ! But I'll probably be back with questions or ideas later!

Ps. I'm a Tie fighter kind of guy myself. Just fun to see what you can do within the limits of these low tech short ranged Migs!

Ooops, disregard above post, i just found the menu items when making a seperate install for this. Very Nice!! I like the music better than the anthem, which got anoying after a while, and the menu screens etc are just wonderful!

Thanks again for this Campaign!

Batilka, any idea how this campaign would work with SF2? Just bought the game and would love to get the red side going. ;0)

Batilka, any idea how this campaign would work with SF2? Just bought the game and would love to get the red side going. ;0)

Hi pcpilot,

Sorry for the belated reply, I'm afraid I don't have SF2 - yet - so I have not got to grips with the mod structure in the new build. I'm sure pfunk has posted some notes in the KB on modding SF2, which covers the new way the campaign.ini file works, so that may be worth a look.

Cheers,

Baltika