Sign in to follow this  
Beer

World Record Water Depth For Drilling

Today we are moving my Drillship to a new Location off Texas, look for my ship to make some drilling news as we break the world record for water depth as Ultra Deep Water drilling breaks the 10,000' mark, with our partners ChevronTexaco.

The previous record is held by our sister ship the Discoverer Spirit 9700' and some change. We are gonna show the Spirit that "Penetration is our business", and we do it "faster, deeper and with more thrust" (T shirt slogan I was trying to get approved, but it was declined for some reason???).

Cheers

Beer

Every time I see the movie Armageddon and see Harry Stamper I am going to think of you Beer.LOL "It's ok Rockhound, I'm temporarily insane" :D

"I promised 10,000ft and by God I will make 10,000ft" ;)

LOL that was shot on a competitors rig, it was a Global Semisubmersible (don't know which one), we are rated to drill to 35,000'. We have not gone 35,000' yet but we have done one to 5 miles and another at 6 miles of drill depth (that does include water depth).

Cheers

Beer

So whats the deepest water you have drilled in?? Do you stay in the Gulf or have you trecked out to the Atlantic at all?

Under 5000' water depth(for drilling so far), the ship is rated to drill in 10,000' we will be just over that with some special equipment added to the ship.

The deepest I have worked is 13,440' when I was a Dynamic Positioning Officer and we did wreck investigation on the M/V Derbyshire (the Derbyshire is a feature on the history channel :)). We had an ROV that photographed the wreckage. The special on the history channel was filmed on the visits after we did the initial find and investigation. I dont drive the sub or anything I just keep the ship on station.

CHeers

Beer

Well (no pun intended...) we did it :D

Transocean Inc. and ChevronTexaco Announce New World Water-Depth Drilling Record in 10,011 Feet of Water

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIRD PARTY RELEASE

This is news concerning ChevronTexaco but issued by someone other than ChevronTexaco and archived here for record purposes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOUSTON, Nov. 17, 2003 -- Transocean Inc. and ChevronTexaco today announced that the Transocean drillship Discoverer Deep Seas has set a new world water-depth drilling record by spudding a well in 10,011 feet of water in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. The record -- set while constructing ChevronTexaco's Toledo well in Alaminos Canyon block 951 -- marks the first time in the offshore drilling industry's history that a drilling rig has explored for oil and natural gas in more than 10,000 feet of water.

The previous world water-depth drilling record was 9,727 feet of water in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico by another Transocean drillship, the Discoverer Spirit, in October 2001 working for Unocal.

The Discoverer Deep Seas and its sister drillships, Discoverer Spirit and Discoverer Enterprise, incorporate and use Transocean's patented dual-activity technology, which saves time by allowing drilling tasks to be performed in parallel, rather than sequentially as with conventional offshore drilling rigs.

Transocean Inc. is the world's largest offshore drilling contractor with more than 160 full or partially owned and managed mobile offshore drilling units, inland drilling barges and other assets utilized in the support of offshore drilling activities worldwide. The company's mobile offshore drilling fleet is considered one of the most modern and versatile in the world with 13 fifth-generation semisubmersibles and drillships, 15 other deepwater semisubmersibles and drillships, 31 mid-water semisubmersibles and drillships and 50 jackup drilling rigs. Transocean Inc. specializes in technically demanding segments of the offshore drilling business, including industry-leading positions in deepwater and harsh environment drilling services. With a current equity market capitalization in excess of $6 billion, the company's ordinary shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "RIG."

Reference

http://www.chevrontexaco.com/news/press/20...003-11-17_1.asp

Cheers

Beer

Congratulations, definately a feat. Maybe they'll approve those shirts now?

Not Likely, I may have to do the bootleg shirts, as long as I leave the Company Logos off I should be safe from getting fired (LOL I hope?).

Cheers

Beer

Congrats Beer! Thats outstanding! How long do you think the record will stand? Also, I was just curious, would you happen to know the deepest well ever drilled either offshore or onshore? C ya! - Sledge

We made the cover of "Offshore", not sure Sledge, we drilled one that is a world record Vertical Depth of over 31,000 TVD (True Vertical Depth), the world record I think is in the 33,000' range. The vertical depth thing is one thing, Directional drilling is another. Being that I just drive the ship I will need to consult with the toolpushers on that ;)

DecCover1016x.jpg

CHeers

Beer

Hey, that's pretty cool! Nice looking ship! I don't see you on the deck waving your arms at the camera though ;)

hehe they took the pic when I was sleeping! I work nites so the only time I see daylight is in the summer time when its light out til 2000 or so.

That picture is going to help me model the ship for helo landings in FS 2004 :D

Cheers