Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Ok, which 3d modeler isn't busy?

Yah, like ya'll are just sitting around waiting for something to do!!! :rofl:

This little, late WW2 bird is pretty much ready to go, excepting I need someone to make the secondary pit (as a 'pod' stuck on top) for the RIO...

p38m-1.jpg

p38m-2.jpg

night-lightning1.jpg

accurate serial numbers, Timmy's AN/APS-4 radar pod.

Just need that secondary pit, and it's out the door (well, and hangar screen, but how hard is THAT to do?)

There's a couple of other drawing; hell, I'll even through in the whole D&S book on late mark Lightnings!

TIA!

Wrench

kevin stein

Blackbird is pod boy, he's the one to ask methinks.

FastCargo

Oh, Harold, you KNOW I can't resist that one...

bodysnatchers.png

I'm the guy on right, in case anyone is wondering.

Wrench

kevin stein

Oh, Harold, you KNOW I can't resist that one...

bodysnatchers.png

I'm the guy on right, in case anyone is wondering.

Wrench

kevin stein

I could have used ine of those pods on my exwife. :wink:

And the RN AEW Skyraider, lest we forget!!! :rofl:

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest Stiglr

I'm a little confused...

What is it that you want:

A) a modified external 3d fuselage with the second cockpit attached to it...?

or

B) a second cockpit for a player to sit in (with full ornamentation, gauges, controls, etc.?)

If it's just the former, you can send me the mesh for the fuselage (a .3ds file would do fine, and the copy of the fuselage texture file would also be nice) and I can whip it up for ya right quick.

The latter would, naturally, take much more effort (not to mention some visual sources)

Unfortunately, we don't have access to the MAX file to simply 'extrude' the needed shape from the main cockpit pod. The modder that built this, and many other of our WW2 birds is not longner modding. So we have to "add" it as a weapon station

How we get things added to existing LODs, is actually pretty cool, and very easy.

They're added via edits of the data and loadout inis. That's how we've gotten the various RWR/Avionics pods/blisters on the Argie Scooters, the A-4E (Late) avionics hump, MiG-17/19 Radar noses, etc. (on the other side, data ini edits can be used to remove items from existing lods, like I did for the Chinese Peashooter, removing the radio antenna wires)*

We create a new SystemName, that lists the (for lack of a better word) "component" to add. Then, add a new weapons station for it to 'mount' too. Create a new "weapon" (in this case, like the AN/APS-4 radar pod on the nose which as been added as a weapon station -the pod is a 0 strength jammer; other edits in the avionics ini creates the 'display', the 'new RIO pit') dial in the positioning for just aft of the main pit, and etc.

As an example, here's a screenie showing a "thing" attached to the upper aft cockpit pod

pod_mounting.jpg

For this purpose, I just used a drop tank, which is OBVIOUSLY way to big in length and so forth.

But, it shows that it's really easy to 'stick things' where they ordinairly wouldn't be.

So, basically what needed is the rear cockpit shape as a shell, with the upper window cut out and set to use the 'canopyglass.tga', with a bmp for the skin which would just be painted black.

oh, for those other 2 1/2 dozen of us WW2 players, that's Edwards Phillipines terrain, with the "GreenHell" mod for the trees and such...works perfect and looks just as how my father described it. -- a worthwhile mod to install!!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

*btw: that's a nice Philipine Peashooter skin you showed me! Much better than the one I did!

@ wrench can you send the plane over to me? can`t promise you anything but I can take a look on this.. need a small brake from the mig have some trouble with gearbay

Guest Stiglr

My reason for requesting the existing "pilot pod" mesh for this plane is that this is somewhat different of a request than adding a pod, or a piece of ordnance. This has to MATE seamlessly with the existing fuselage, or perhaps more to the point, to replace it when this particular variant of the plane is chosen.

No better a way to do this than to have the existing 3D geometry to work from, create the variant based on it, map it similarly (perhaps editing the texture to incorporate both variants), and do whatever is necessary to create the LOD variants of the new variant fuselage.

If that's not possible for some reason, what you'll need to do is find a way to accurately define a position in space for the existing fuselage, so that that reference can be used along with those 3-view graphics to create a replacement fuselage. Otherwise, you face a long, tedious and frustrating process of "nudging" any new part into place until it fits. :(

I don't think you should attempt to simply piggyback the rear-seater onto the existing pit. Unless you do it to a very tight tolerance, it's not going to look good. And if you can't get access to the existing mesh in any event, you must also determine exactly what defines the fuselage as a standalone part or object, as that entire object needs to be replaced, and must interact visually with the rest of the plane's parts.

Now, I realize I'm speaking from a complete lack of perspective as far as production for SF/Wo*... but I'm merely coming at it from a 3D modeler's POV.

If I can help, let me know... or if you can define that fuselage without access to the mesh... and also define what the fuselage.

One more question: how certain are you that the existing P-38 is modelled accurately to scale? If access to the existing model just isn't possible, you can simply try to graft a new section on it, but doing it blind from a different set of 3-view drawings is going to be a challenge.

Guest Stiglr
The modder that built this, and many other of our WW2 birds, is no longer modding.

Does that also mean "unreachable" or perhaps "non-responsive"? That'd be a shame.

I bet that person, even if they're not willing to do any work, can at least provide the raw files. They're likely sitting on a drive someplace.

Might that be worth a few rounds of email?

Guest Stiglr

Check yer PMs, Wrench.

Got it! Unfortunately, since I can't model....

Do you still want those 5 views?? Or the skin bmp? Don't have access to the lined UVmap.

We can get them to mate seamlesslly, via position edits in the aircraft data ini. The best examples would be the avionics humps for the A-4E(L) and A-4L Skyhawks, and the Argentine A-4P/Q and some other one, plus my single-seat F-110 Wraith (phantom). You just 'dial in' where it sits on the existing aircraft lod, and it blends right in.

Blackbird: my Night Lightning or the original L version I build it out of? I'll assume the M, and place it somewhere for you to get.

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest Stiglr

Wrench: again, check your PMs. There's a link in it for you.

I found a suitable replacement for the top view, so no worries.

The deed is done, I believe. :smile: You just have to figure out how to mate it with the existing model.

Edited by Stiglr

I deleted the rear glass and add my pilot pit to it and it looks good also the radar pod under the nose will be included to, it will have two textures one for the outsite parts and one for the inside like panel for copilot... how does it sounds?

Sound good!

Dosn't really need much detail, just need to 'show up' so to speak. And the top 'window' hatch.

The AN/APS-4 pod was made by Timmy for use on the TBM-3E Avenger; I just didn't want to see it go to waste on a singel mod :wink:

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest Stiglr

Um, Wrench....

Did you even check to see if the parts I've already created are usable for you or might be what you need?

I have yet to even get an acknowledgment of the PMs I sent.

Sorry, was away this weekend. I DID download them, but got heavily distracted with work on skinning stuff for Baltika's upcoming Battle of Midway campaign. (and sidetraked off that by trying to replicate the E13A floatplane)

I'll try to look at it as soon as I can.

my apologies!

Wrench

kevin stein

The flight model has always been a little squiffy, expecially in a real hard yank&bank (which is one my failings!)

BB, baby, THAT is exactly what I'm looking for!!! Just swap out the modern guys for the WW2 pilot, and it looks like we're in business!!!

Did you 'fuse' the radar pod to the nose, or is it still 'attached' as a weapon? (btw, looks better in black!)

:good:

Wrench

kevin stein