Sign in to follow this  
Rodent

Hi, I am your latest newb

Hello folks. Just thought I would say hello and introduce myself and this seemed like a good place to do it. I am a bit of a simulation enthusiast and have been spending a lot of time with Silent Hunter 4 and Orbiter prior to this. So I am no stranger to adding community created content although I found it a lot easier in Orbiter than SFG. (I figure because Orbiter is just one sim and all content is made for that, rather than most content for SFG is made for other sims using the same engine)

I saw a video on youtube some years ago featuring Strike Fighters Gold and thought it looked fun. Made me remember Fighter Bomber I had for my Atari ST and got me a little bit nostalgic. I am into theese kinds of simulators and there has not been a whole lot of this kind to find on the shelves of game stores exactly. But anyway I came across SFG a little while ago in a collection box and went for it so now I have it and am overall pretty happy with it, although I feel like a retard sometimes when it comes to installing addons.

I did register here a while ago in order to download new aircraft and other items of interest. and I have to say I am impressed with the quality of the content you can download for free here. This however is my first post on the forums.

I would like to finish this post with a question if this is a good place for it?

After installing weapons pack 3, all weapons for every aircraft seem to have disappeared. Nothing at all is available. I did choose SFP1 as SFG was not an option in the list. If I missed something I would appreciate if someone could point that out to me. Also if this is not the place to ask questions of this nature, might someone point me in the right direction?

Thats it, thanks for taking the time to check out this annoying new newb ;)

Hi Rodent - welcome aboard.

Yes the weapons packs - there should be quite a few old threads on this one already - The problem is the one you used was probably created for an earlier version of the game - if you have just installed it directly into the latest patched version of SFG then some newer bits may have been replaced with older incorrect bits from the weapons pack. therefore its best at the mo (You need to provide a link to the actual weps pack you downloaded btw) if you install the weps pack to a new folder on your desktop - then manually move over the "weapons" folder into the game and go from there.

You will find a lot of useful info in the knowledge base on here too - see my sig

Thanks for the tip MigBuster. I already had two folders with separate installs of SFG so I tried just lifting the weapons folder from the one I installed it into to the other, but that caused the problem to appear in the other install too. No weapons for any aircraft. Not even stock weapons for stock aircraft.

I had already updated the game to the latest patch, and the weapons pack I installed was this

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=2672

I tried this onto a clean install too but then SFG would not start up at all, instant crash back to desktop.

I installed SFG again on top of the old directory with already existing files and that seems to run now, and stock weapons are available again, but still not the weapons pack weapons, though the directories and files are still there at least. Also I did notice a lot of mentions to weapondata.ini but this file does not exist. Tried using Weapon Data Editor v02.20.08 as suggested in the knowlege base and well I ran into problems when the files I was supposed to fiddle with did not exist. I tried creating a weapondata.ini by copying and pasting lines from the weapondata files included with some other downloaded craft I have not managed to get their weapons to work with, but really I have no idea what I am doing.

I guess what I need is someone to treat me like an idiot because I probably am one :blink:

Hello there and welcome to the community

I think i know what your problem is, i had it too a while back, what you have to do, is a clean install, download the New patch for the game, install it, then install your weapons pack, then open up the weapon INI in the weapons editor, DONT FIDDLE WITH ANY OF THE WEAPONS, just open the INI, then save it, close the weapons editor, and you should be good to go with all your weapons. Hope this helps out.

I got my weapons!

In the end I gave up trying to get this weapon pack to work and instead got a much better one with every weapon included, and that works :) Thanks for all the help.