Sign in to follow this  
geoff

Shimmering Water Fix - Please add to KB

I know that this info has been useful to several people. Could it please be added to to KB for future reference.

Great news for those of you who, like myself, had given up hope of fixing the water shimmering issue. I've finally cracked it!

What I did was a clean install of WOI, I then extracted and checked the Israel Data.ini and noted the following parameters:

[HeightOffset]

LowDetailMesh=-1.0

WaterMesh=1.0

With the default setting I was getting a bit of shimmering but not too distracting, then I applied the latest patch, the result: horrible shimmering.

I checked the new Israel Data.ini after the patch and found that the parameters had been lowered to those recommended in the Combat Ace KB, i.e.

[HeightOffset]

LowDetailMesh=-1.0

WaterMesh=0.8

So I decided to go against received wisdom and increase the parameter, finally arriving at the following:

[HeightOffset]

LowDetailMesh=-1.0

WaterMesh=1.8

This has eliminated all shimmering, the water looks great and I haven't seen any adverse side effects.

I hope this fix works for you if you been suffering the horrible water shimmer affliction, good luck, Geoff

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=32500

its been there for awhile. I will add your stuff to it though.

Thanks for adding that info to the KB. Like quite a few other people I had tried the fixes already posted there and they didn't work. It took me quite a few hours to work out how to get rid of the shimmering and I thought it might save others a bit of time if the info was easily accessible.

I asked TK about the fix that I found and this was his reply:

Well, moving the water mesh up is one way to solve the z-buffer problem. You get the z-fighting when you have two surfaces close to each other and you dont' have enough precision to separate the two. So by physically separating them by moving the water mesh up further is one way to solve it. However, be warned that this might cause other problems, such as coast line not matching up and/or ships not appearing correctly above the water.

Geoff

I have a question, in my israel the water is a bit too high, you can see the deck of the ships is under water, not tried your settings yet only used the early fix parameters but still have some shimering will try the new ones soon...