Sign in to follow this  
Thog10

Durable Hunter

in a recent SF2 campaign mission (all settings on hard)...

I was flying a F-100D in a furball against several MiG-17s and Hawker Hunters. After having just dispatched a Fresco, I turned and found myself looking at the tailpipe of a Hunter not more than a mile and a half distant. Since the aircraft was flying straight and level, I switched to my sidewinders. Getting good tone, I fired a sidewinder that flew directly at the Hunter and exploded just aft of the jet. (Does the game model proximity fuzes?) The Hunter kept on going. Not wanting to waste 20mm, I loosed another 9B. The second missle also exploded on or near the Hunter, but the aircraft kept flying, and even began to try to evade me. By this time I had closed the distance with him. I set my sights on him, fired a short burst, and that was the end of that.

I was a bit confused. Perhaps the missles had actually missed. When I finished the mission, I looked at the stats pages. I had two hits with my sidewinders, but no kills were credited to the missiles. The Hunter had been finished with the guns.

Edited by Thog10

I have had that happen before. Many times I will fire a sidewinder, shaffir, magic, ahpid etc and it will detonate just aft and will take out the rudder or elevators and she will keep flying. I think it has to do with the small warheads that most IRM's carry. Isn't the warhead on a sidewinder only 7lbs?

It´s normal. Once i hit a Superbug with a python3 (featuring a PL8), among the fins. Both rudders off, debris damage all-over, etc. It continued

to fly and my J-10 achieved a belly-kill over an AIM-120C