ghostrider883

Indian Air Force MiG-27 fleet upgrade complete

iaf-mig-27-dare-upgrade-fly-300x212.jpg

Defence Avionics Research Establishment under the aegis of Defence Research and Development Organisation has added one more feather to its cap with the successful completion of avionics upgrade of MiG-27 aircraft. This pioneering effort was realised using entirely indigenous expertise at a fraction of cost. The project was initiated in the year 2002 through a tripartite MoU between DARE, HAL(Nasik) and Air Force. The Initial Operational Clearance was accorded in June 2006 which led to the subsequent formation of operational squadrons.

The avionics system is built around a modular mission computer termed Core Avionics Computer (CAC), developed by DARE. The CAC built on open system principles, houses functional modules using contemporary processors and devices. These functional modules are powering the mission computers on Jaguar and Su-30 MKI aircraft as well.

The upgraded MiG-27 aircraft is equipped with Inertial Navigation & Global Positioning System (INGPS) providing accurate Navigation. Advanced avionics on the aircraft has been interfaced on MIL-STD-1553B Dual Redundant Bus. To enable weapon aiming, accurate ranging sensors such as Laser Designator Pod (LDP) and Laser Ranger & Marked Target Seeker (LRMTS) are integrated. A digital Map Generator has been integrated to improve situational awareness. The digital Video Recording system provides mission analysis and debrief support.

mig-27cockpits-dare-upgrade-300x225.jpg

DARE took up the challenge of developing the mission critical software. Over half a million lines of code were developed adhering to stringent real time constraints and requisite software engineering requirements. The resultant quality software was independently verified and validated with external agencies.

DARE developed algorithms for navigation, ranging including a weapon delivery algorithm which was developed along with Software Development Institute of Air Force enabling precision Weapon Delivery.

The upgraded aircraft has a pilot friendly cockpit with state-of-Art Multi Function Display (MFD) and Head Up Display (HUD). The pilot flies “Head Up” with all the necessary NAV and attack guidance symbology presented on the HUD and superimposed on the outside world view. The Integrated Flight and Weapon Control System of the upgraded aircraft enables Hands Free (Auto Pilot) Route Flying and Auto-Weapon delivery. A functional maintenance mode has been incorporated providing “On AIRCRAFT” LRU health checks.

Advanced integrated EW Suite is integrated along with state-of-art communication systems. The upgraded aircraft also has an emergency situation indication system and automated emergency handling cueing system on Multi Function Display (MFD). The introduction of LDP has enhanced the Night Attack Capability.

HAL, Nasik was instrumental in the design and modification of prototype aircraft for installation of new cockpit and avionics equipment as well as related looming changes.

The avionics upgrade has transformed the legacy aircraft into a potent weapon delivery platform with a user friendly cockpit. All the aircrafts have been upgraded and the users are enamored with the performance of the upgraded aircraft which is comparable with contemporary aircraft in use around the world.

DARE has forged synergetic partnerships with leaders from private industries like M/s TCS and M/s ComAvia to leverage the best in knowledge and the latest in technology. With this upgrade project DRDO, HAL, ADE, IAF, CEMILAC and DGAQA has showcased the expertise that exists within the country for completing complex and challenging task of aircraft upgrade.

That is awesome. Looks very modern and pilot friendly.

The article didnt mention this, but how much longer do the IAF expect to keep the -27 in service? During the upgrade was the airframe SLEP'd or zero-out?

With the avionics upgrade, do they or will they gain a precision weapons capability?

-S

This sounds kind of like the A-10C upgrade...pretty much 100% cockpit/avionics based, things like airframe and engine are left alone. Sounds like they're achieving some economy by using the same equipment that the Jaguar and Flanker have, always appreciated by the logistics guys. :wink:

I will say this though...that cockpit looks 10x better, not least for getting rid of that lousy turquoise!! :biggrin:

This sounds kind of like the A-10C upgrade...pretty much 100% cockpit/avionics based, things like airframe and engine are left alone. Sounds like they're achieving some economy by using the same equipment that the Jaguar and Flanker have, always appreciated by the logistics guys. :wink:

I will say this though...that cockpit looks 10x better, not least for getting rid of that lousy turquoise!! :biggrin:

Turquoise has a soothing effect on the pilot when his intestines are wrapped around the throttle quadrant and his blood and puke is coating most of the instruments. I have it on good authority that the Rooskis tested this thoroughly at a remote Siberia test site............................

the Russian engineers talk - 'quality of airplane is not determined an amount and size MFD'

I do not trust somehow MFD possibly I am too old for this purpose, will break MFD and that then - ejected?

OLG GOOD ANALOG devices are much more reliable, even if 1/3 from them will break, there is a chance to rescue an airplane.

And i like Turquoise... Good color!

As per reports, IAF has only chosen to upgrade 40 MiG-27Ms. Though the IAF was interested in the AL-31 option, the limited airframe upgradation clearly indicates they are not going to take AL-31 option. The rest around 80 will retire as time passes by. This upgrade would keep the upgraded 27s flying into 2020 & beyond just like the upgraded HAL Jaguar IS & IBs. The upgraded MiG-27s now have TU-XXX series srl nos. in place of earlier TS-XXX series.

Using Litening LDP, the MiG-27s can drop LGBs. See the attached pdf to read about new features incorporated into Indian 27s. There was a proposal to fit IFR probe, but that too has not been implemented. Her is an old scan from an Indian aviation magazine about MiG-27UPG:

Pict0056.jpg

Pict0057.jpg

HALmag_mig27.pdf

THE BUILD PROGRAM FOR JAGUARS AND MIG 27'S ENDD FEW YEARS AGO, THE AIRFRAMES MUST BE GENERALY IN GOOD CONDITIONS.HAVING ABOUT 100 OF EACH KIND, I PERSONALLY BELIEVE THAT THE FLEET DOES'NT SUFFER FROM HEAVY USE

THE BUILD PROGRAM FOR JAGUARS AND MIG 27'S ENDD FEW YEARS AGO, THE AIRFRAMES MUST BE GENERALY IN GOOD CONDITIONS.HAVING ABOUT 100 OF EACH KIND, I PERSONALLY BELIEVE THAT THE FLEET DOES'NT SUFFER FROM HEAVY USE

Not fully true. The MiG-27 production a long while ago. Jaguar production too had ended but it was re-started as IAF placed new orders for new twin seat & single seat DARIN-III Jaguars.

Most planes with MFDs have analog backups. They may not be in the most convenient locations, but they're there. The only exceptions I think are the very latest fighters which rely on the computers so much anyway that it hardly matters. One of those "if the MFD is gone chances are so is the rest of the plane anyway" deals. I've never seen a plane with only ONE MFD that had no backups. Those are the ones like F-35 and RAH-66 that have multiples, so even if one failed you could look at the readouts on the others.

Most planes with MFDs have analog backups. They may not be in the most convenient locations, but they're there. The only exceptions I think are the very latest fighters which rely on the computers so much anyway that it hardly matters. One of those "if the MFD is gone chances are so is the rest of the plane anyway" deals. I've never seen a plane with only ONE MFD that had no backups. Those are the ones like F-35 and RAH-66 that have multiples, so even if one failed you could look at the readouts on the others.

Possibly I not quite clearly, spoke out, I had wanted to say, "it is impossible to estimate an airplane only on MFD".

and " major analog devices must be keeped for backup"

Someone watched video ?

Possibly I not quite clearly, spoke out, I had wanted to say, "it is impossible to estimate an airplane only on MFD".

and " major analog devices must be keeped for backup"

Someone watched video ?

Tried it, but the link didn't work... :sorry:

But I have to say: The more MFDs the better! :biggrin:

Well, I don't work in the aircraft industry, but if I would the love for MFDs woul be a sideeffect of my profession...

...the more MFDs the more to play with! (I am a software developer...)

OK Collegue! I'm programmer, who creating 'soft & DriverS' for Russian modern radars. I watched to more Sensor displays & MFD on work. Also i tested programm, what transferred Analog devices values to MFD, yes at any way ANALOG DEVICE was main.

I re-upload file to filefactory. http://www.filefactory.com/file/a014d8c/n/...AL-31_Smotr_wmv

So you're used to extensive verification, too? It would be pretty bad to have bugs in those systems...

Well, I think a modern aircraft should have at least one MFD (for things like map, tactical situation,...) - but if it degenerated to a lightshow you just confuse the pilot (too much information can be as bad as to little information)!

Nice video! (I didn't understand a word, but the footage was great - except of the table at the beginning of the video...)