Sign in to follow this  
acemasterzero

upgrading graphics card

hi just got a newish rig and it came with a craptastic integrated gpu (nvidia geforce 6150se nforce 430). i would have switched to my old gfx card but its OLD (agp 8X ATI x800). so my basic question is what kind of gfx card would be a good upgrade for PCI express and relatively cheap say around $250max. I'm not looking to go nuts i just want a decent card to replace the stupid integrated one. my powersupply might also come into question but any and all suggestions are appreciated. also i'm okay with ati and nvidia. i'm also a bit confused because i found some good priced cards but they say they are pci-express 2.0 and im not sure if that means i can use it on a mobo with pci-express 1.0 (i think thats what i have)

here are my current specs:

Phenom-9150e X4 1.8 GHz (65W) (quad core)

windows vista home premium 64bit sp1

mobo: Nettle3-GL8E (ya, can't say i've heard of it)

nvidia geforce 6150se

4gig 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM PC2-6400 MB

500 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

DVD+/-R/RW 16X 12X +/-DL LS 12X RAM SuperMulti SATA drive

thanks a lot for any help on the subject. i haven't been doing any pc gaming in a while and i am kinda new to all the new tech.

hi just got a newish rig and it came with a craptastic integrated gpu (nvidia geforce 6150se nforce 430). i would have switched to my old gfx card but its OLD (agp 8X ATI x800). so my basic question is what kind of gfx card would be a good upgrade for PCI express and relatively cheap say around $250max. I'm not looking to go nuts i just want a decent card to replace the stupid integrated one. my powersupply might also come into question but any and all suggestions are appreciated. also i'm okay with ati and nvidia. i'm also a bit confused because i found some good priced cards but they say they are pci-express 2.0 and im not sure if that means i can use it on a mobo with pci-express 1.0 (i think thats what i have)

nvidia geforce 6150se

thanks a lot for any help on the subject. i haven't been doing any pc gaming in a while and i am kinda new to all the new tech.

I made the mistake of upgrading to a 1gig card and not upgrading my power supply, you can get a great card for the money you are willing to spend look at fry's.com or other sites that sell pc parts. I'm running e-GeForce in the PCI-E slot and have zero problems or stutter even on high and unlimited settings while over high item areas (WoV Haiphong, Hanoi)

My system is running a PCI-E Geforce 8600GT.

Read my rig specs, below... it's well within your price range.

It runs Crysis, like a bat outta Hell.

So, imagine what kind of performance, Thirdwire / Falcon AF / Lock On sims would afforded with this card.

best of luck...

nvidia geforce 6150se

I too am running the 8600gt 1gig got it on sale for $100 it is great. Not a problem, just needs at least 22amps on the 12v rail.

thanks for the posts. i'll definitely check out those options. i'm still curious about the PCIe 2.0. i'm wondering if they'd work with a pci express 1.0 but just without some of the bells and whistles. the idea of running crysis for around 100 bucks for a graphics card sounds sweet. i can't wait to get back to F4AF and strike fighters (oh wait that's right i have to buy it again so it'll work on vista. ugh haha)

PCI E 2.0 cards will work on PCI E 1 mobos, the interface is just a bit slower. The 2.0 card simply runs slower than optimal, otherwise fully backwards compatible.

If you're willing to spend $250, go for a GTX 260. Of course, you need to have a minimum 500w PSU for that, so check what you have first. Sites like Newegg list the recommended PSU ratings for most of the video cards they sell under the specs tab.

thanks a lot guys this helps out a lot. too bad my old rig died a week after i bought WoE and now i got Vista. Haha. bummer.
SF2 $20 vista nuff said?