MiG-21 Cockpits for WOI

-----------------------------------------

ORIGINALLY BY: MAGO aka PALADRIAN, BADGER the BAD, & FUBAR512

Modified for use with WoI and multiplayer by: streakeagle

Released with permission from: PALADRIAN

INSTALLATION

Extract the "Objects" and "Sounds" folders from the WOIMiG21 zip file if you have not done so already.

Copy these two folders to your main Wings Over Israel directory.

That’s it!

I have also included the original documents from the other cockpit releases.

COMMENTS

This mod proivdes only a basic package.

It upgrades all of the stock MiG-21 variants in Wings Over Israel to be flyable.

It primarily adds 3d cockpits previously released for SFP1/WOV/WOE MiG-21 mods.

They are slightly tweaked:

1. Increased transparency for all glass.

2. Removed head-bobbing, which made gunsights too difficult to use.

3. Added preview patches to each skin.

4. Translated the Arabic decals to make lists for selecting the nose numbers.

5. Other files such as flight models and weapons loadouts were omitted.

Omitting the custom flight models and loadouts ensures 100% compliance with the stock game.

This mod allows hosting/joining multiplayer sessions with others using stock installs.

The addon does provide two advantages over pure stock installs: radar and rwr support.

AI MiG-21s already have these systems as they should, so can it be considered cheating?

This mod also ensures that the AI will continue to function as Thirdwire intended.

So, game balance and campaign play in single player are unaffected.

Yet, the MiG-21s are now flyable with appropriate 3d cockpits and avionics.

I have included a text file listing real nose numbers from photos.

This list could be used to make the game's nose decals more historically accurate.

Very good news!

Thank you kindly, sir!

I was praying for such a mod for a long time, in order to play it with the all-planes all-nations flyable mod.

This mod is nothing special... just got tired of doing this manually every time I reinstall the game after patching.

I really could have used this back in the day for online play with WoV.

I intended to make separate packages to suuport each sim: SFP1, WoV, WoE, etc., but got short on time.

When all of the "2" series games are completed, I will see about making an integrated package for all of them.

I would like equivalent mods for other MiGs and Sus, ideally one massive download that would make all Soviet fighters flyable with correct 3d pits yet still be compatible with stock installs.

My approach resulted in some questionable compromises:

1. Can't customize anything in the data.ini file including engine sound.

2. Kept the radar performance (range scales, track strength, search strength, etc.) from the mods, which means the player has inferior capabilities compared to the unmodded data used by AI.

3. Only stock loadouts and weapon data are used... great for compatibility, bad for realism and detail.

But, as someone who has spent quite a bit of time playing online, I like the end results: I can fly a MiG-21PFM and have all the indications and sensor capabilities I should rather than using the generic A-4 pit without forcing others I play with to use any mods at all.

Thank you for a great package, i really enjoy flying the MIG's. Now a couple of questions:

1. The MIG21_PFM shows a canopy mounted mirror from inside the cockpit but nothing from the outside. Intentional or a bug?

2. The MIG21F sows a solid wall behind the pilot seat but from the outside wiev it has an all round glass canopy. Again intentional or bug?

Thank's again for your time and effort to make the migs flyable.

I didn't build the cockpits, I just made it so you could drop what was already available into the game without disturbing the existing flight models. The person who made the cockpits used his references to make the most accurate versions he could from the photos available. However, some cockpits were reused between similar types. At the same time, the stock 3d models of the MiGs are not necessarily 100% accurate since you weren't meant to fly them and should only see them from a distance while fighting them not as much time was spent detailing them. If want specific issues addressed with the cockpit details, you will have to contact the modders who created them. If you would like to see fixes to the exterior 3d models, go to the third wire forums and identify the faults to TK (with supporting documentation to support your claims). I don't see Third Wire making any stock flyable MiGs any time soon, if ever. Thankfully, some people fill in the gaps missed by TK FOR FREE!!!

Edited by streakeagle

I didn't build the cockpits, I just made it so you could drop what was already available into the game without disturbing the existing flight models. The person who made the cockpits used his references to make the most accurate versions he could from the photos available. However, some cockpits were reused between similar types. At the same time, the stock 3d models of the MiGs are not necessarily 100% accurate since you weren't meant to fly them and should only see them from a distance while fighting them not as much time was spent detailing them. If want specific issues addressed with the cockpit details, you will have to contact the modders who created them. If you would like to see fixes to the exterior 3d models, go to the third wire forums and identify the faults to TK (with supporting documentation to support your claims). I don't see Third Wire making any stock flyable MiGs any time soon, if ever. Thankfully, some people fill in the gaps missed by TK FOR FREE!!!

I understand, thank's again for your work.