Sign in to follow this  
hoongadoonga

gameplay questions

I stepped away from off for quite a while - too much going on. However, I'm back at it now. Congratulations on P3. It is an outstanding step up from P2. My favorite feature is the greatly improved AI. Many thanks to all involved.

Here are some misc. topics I've either forgotten or am not clear on:

1. I fly as the lead. When I initiate an attack on the enemy or they jump us will my wingmen automatically attack them or do I need to direct them by using the A key?

2. If I must use the A key do I need to target an enemy plane first or can I just start hitting A without targeting?

3. When I'm in a fighter going up against a 2-seater does the workshop setting of rear guns-wide mean the rear gunner is less accurate (easier for me)?

I want to make my own calls on whether I die or not so I'm going with easiest-pilot never dies. In my mind you can be killed in two different ways - what happens in the air (hit by bullets or collisions) and what happens when you land/crash. If I make a soft landing then I should still be alive - if it is a bad crash then I consider myself dead and retire the pilot. However, I want to make sure that this easiest outcome setting does not affect my vulnerability in the air. When playing dead is dead (in P2) I would be killed in mid-air - the screen would go black or red, I would lose all control of the plane, and dive into the ground. I want this to still be an option, which would of course would mean that I would consider the pilot to be dead and retire him. I want to make sure that I understand the difference between the invincible and outcomes settings. I'm guessing that the outcomes setting has no bearing on what happens during the flight - it comes into play only after the flight has terminated. So here's my question:

4. If I use invincible-off and outcomes-easiest-pilot never dies can I still be "killed" in the air and lose all control of the plane, even though I will be told after the mission that I am just hospitalized?

1. Best to use the A key to be sure your wingmen attack.

2. No need to assign a dogfight target, the wingmen are smart enough to know what to do.

3. Nor sure...I would like to know this also.

4. 'Pilot never dies' simply means that the OFF Manger will undo the death that you just experienced flying in CSF3. If you don't want to die in CSF3, then you need invincibility turned on.

3. yes. 1.26 has new options though but basically

"All Gun Power settings (Main and Rear still separate) - now Hard Normal and Easy now affect spread factor as well as impact damage value - affects all guns AI and Player - Implemented"

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=37449

"All Gun Power settings (Main and Rear still separate) - now Hard Normal and Easy now affect spread factor as well as impact damage value - affects all guns AI and Player

I am a bit confused (like usual, ha ha).

What does the hard/easy actually mean in terms of the effect in the game. For example, 'Harder' to me means my guns are weaker and less accurate, or else the AI guns are stronger and more accurate, yet the setting affects my guns and the AI guns equally??

Thanks for the help. Update 1.26 means that question 3 no longer applies. I can see now that AI gun fire setting-easy means easier for me (as evidenced by the lower realism score).

77scout - I too am not real clear on the main and rear gun settings (aka all gun power settings). These settings affect both me and the AI. My guess is that setting them to easy makes all shots more accurate and damaging. Easy means a lower realism score. A lower realism score generally means that things are unrealistically easy for the human pilots. However, in this case it may just mean that overall gameplay is less realistic because all pilots' accuracy and destructive power is better than it should be even though it results in no net advantage for me vs. the AI.

Hard means it's hard for you and the AI, just hover your mouse over the options!

However you ALSO have a new option to affect AI effectiveness with guns.

Just use the defaults, then experiment if you don't like it?

Hard means it's hard for you and the AI, just hover your mouse over the options!

Thanks Pol...I get it now. Basically same as before; hard means wide spread for both me and the AI (the hover-over text box doesn't really explain that).

Hmmm...I am going with 'hard' on both main and rear guns then, as each gives a 10% bonus on the realism score :yes: