Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

Better Low Altitude Enemy AI?

I decided to try something just an experiment. I figured the AI isn't as aggressive down at low altitudes because it doesn't have as much room to make any mistakes. If it stalls, they are dead because they have no room to recover, etc. I wondered if maybe the more realistic flight models might be more constrictive to the enemy AI because under that FM they have the least room for error. So I put the Flight Model on Easy and ran a few Quick Combat missions just see how the AI behaved on the deck. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that they are in fact more aggressive. Perhaps some of the Devs could confirm or deny this based on what they know about the code.

Anyways, if you get a chance and have the inclination, make a Pilot that you play with the FM on Easy and try out some QC or Campaign missions. Let me know what you think. Am I imagining it or do they seem a bit more aggressive?

Hellshade

Anyone notice better AI at low altitude when the Player Flight model is set to easy? Anyone at all? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

Guess not. Perhaps I'm the first WWI pilot to smoke crack. :) Ah well. P3 is a blast no matter how you play it.

Hellshade

Easy FM is easy for al you and AI for sure, but it is NOT tested at all so not recommended. Realistic all the way.

For something that hasn't been tested Pol, I'm having a blast with it. I actually started a british pilot campaign with it, using Easy FM, Realistic AI Guns, Normal Gun strength for me and Normal Damage Model. What I seem to notice most is that when I take just a couple rounds of damage (normal damage model, not hard) my plane isn't instantly nearly impossible to control or fly. I can still put up a fight, though it is definately harder. If they get a solid burst into me or I take two or three pepper sprays of bullets I'm still done for. Also, the AI enemy aircraft still die spectacular deaths when shot down, but seem to be more aggressive and put up a better fight, especially when hedge hopping across the landscape. I can't just dive for the deck to raise my chances of survival as much. Obviously it's not as realistic, but to tell you the truth, it feels more like I'm in a WWI Hollywood movie like Flyboys. Some of the action stretches reality a bit but it sure is fun for a little pure escapism.

I understand all the effort went into the Realistic flight model. I'm not going to be coming back making suggestions or complaints about the Easy FM. It is what it is and I accept it 100% for that. All I'm saying is if you ever wanted to feel like you were in some of the non-stop action Hollywood WWI movies, try the Easy FM with radar, display messages and all the other "helper" stuff turned off. Could an SE5a barrel roll that easy in real life? I don't know. Probably not, but it sure is fun as hell to keep an Albatross in view with TrackIR as I barrel roll into position behind him for the kill. For me, it's just another way to have fun with this amazing flight sim.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Great as long as you are having fun Hellshade that's all that counts from our point of view. Good to know if others want to try that they can

Thanks.