Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

The origins of "Flying Circus"?

I've heard two plausible explanations: [1] When P.T.Barnum's circus traveled through Europe, the Germans were much impressed by Barnum's method of loading big objects, like circus wagons, onto flat cars by adding tracks on the top side of the flat cars. They then loaded things from the end and rolled them forward. During the war the Germans moved their squadrons up and down the line, wherever needed most. By train. OK. Flying + circus. [2] Somewhere around 1916-17, there was a craze for the Tango, especially in Berlin. There were dance halls devoted to Tango and were called Tango Circus's. On one occasion, as the story goes, Boelke's squadron was on the move. Boelke was strolling the length of the train checking to see that all was well, and when he arrived at the cars with the pilots, he found a full-bore party going on; champagne, girl friends...the lot. His comment: "What have we got here? A Tango Circus?" drew a laugh, and evolved into 'Flying Circus'.

As far as I know it's a term that only emerged in the later years of the war in response to the way the Germans decorated and organized their patrols. I was under the impression it was an RFC term that referred to the Germans tendency to paint planes in distinctive, individual colourful markings. This combined with the fact that later in the war numerous Jastas flew together meant they were a spectacularly diverse and colourful sight. Could be wrong though.

As far as I know, the name came from the fact, that very offensive Jastas, like Jasta 11 of Manfred von Richthofen,

gave up barracks, and decided to use tents to live in, cause that way, they could move much faster from one field

to another. When he then decided, to paint the planes in a very colourful way, the name "Flying Circus" was given to

them by the English aircrew.

The decision for colourful planes was kind of psychological warfare by MvR. When his comrades said, that with these

colours, they would be seen for miles, he answered: I want them to see us for miles. I want them to know, that we

don't see any reason to hide. I want, that they believe, we don't fear them at all."

The decision for colourful planes was kind of psychological warfare by MvR.

So you're saying that colorful aircraft happened as a decision made by MvR? I saw it happen in the film "Richtofen and Brown", but assumed it was Hollywood hyperbole. Is there any record of Germans using the term?

I believe that the reasoning for colorful markings was so that a flight leader or individual flight members could be recognised in the air, not to strike fear into the enemy, but that may be part of it. If youve got 5 Albatroses swirling around in the air in a dogfight, how do you know who's who? Paint them different colors.

-Rooster

"Flying Circus" name came to be because of the way the front-line Jasta's traveled, by train and setup tents. The colors were not the reason for the name. But it did add to it as a circus is colorful with all its wagons and such. As for painting the planes colors, to keep moral up and take the pressure off a little, give a since of invincibility maybe and peer pressure probably had something to do with it too. Some for identification, but that is very much less likely as all planes look pretty much like dark silhouettes in the sky.

One cannot help but think at sometime in a pilot's career, he wished his plane was not so colorful, hard to hide after years of war has taken its toll on one's self.

Maybe?

WF2

Edited by Womenfly2

...and I had such high hopes for Boelke and the Tango Circus possibility.

The idea of painting planes was no different that kids today with motorcycles. It was a pilot's plane, so naturally, they took to them and made them their own. Why not, if they were to die in them, make them beautiful.

Much like the American Indians did with War Paint, and all the like. It's an intimidation thing, it's pride, respect... 'hey look at me, I killed your buddy'... etc.. all wrapped into the mind of a young 18 year old behind the seat of a fast, killing machine.

As far as the name Flying Circus: it all had to do with packing-up and moving to the next location overnight. The Entente bombers would be set to take down an aerodrome one-day, the next morning fly to it, and it would be gone. So, much like the 'fly by night' operation of the Circus, the GAF was the same. Good tactics considering the smaller size of the squadrons... hit and run always works when you're the little guy.

OvS