Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

A Campain Question...

I read at your site that the campain will be historically correct to begin with and will be dynamic in nature....I followed the campain(as I'm sure most people around the world did)and the most vivid memory I have is the image of H.M.S. Sheffield burning after being struck by a missile..will that be in there or can that incident be prevented(or will that incident be left out for because of the bad memories)?and will carrier ops for the British forces be moddelled with pitching carriers decks...and resupply be limited,as I'm sure it was in the real conflict.Also will the aircraft doing CAS missions be damaged by small arms fire from ground troops(not sure if that is possible or evensomething yall would want to do)...just courious.Also will the weather be changing...I mean it looked nasty on TV..but then periods of clear skys would show up.

Troops will fire at the Pucaras doing CAS/antipersonal missions. They're a serious threat to low flying planes as most platoons carried shoulder-launched SAMs.

HMS Sheffield will be there, and as the campaign is of dynamic nature, it will be placed there at the approx. position that it was on May, 1st 1982 (start of aerial raids against the isles), but after this point, anything can happen. Argie navy could decide to face the danger of the british subs and keep on sailing, instead of retiring to the ports and shallow waters as they did in the real events.

As it's a small scale war, with fewer aerial units involved, the acts of you as a pilot and your squadron could be decisive to the outcome of events - like for example, intercepting a certain anti-shipping raid with your Sea Harrier CAP.

Pitching deck carriers on rough seas are one of the goals of the project, as an improvement over previous sims featuring carrier ops. Resuppy will be limited, with the C-130s doing the supply route from continent to the islands for the argie troops entrenched in the islands. The converted countainer ships used as military transport by the british (Atlantic Conveyor, for example) will be there as well.

As you may notice in our short video of the flightsim engine at work, the terrain has no trees at all. It was a fact, there aren't native trees in the islands, just small bushes. There are some trees but these are on gardens in Port Stanley residences, brought there from europe and planted there by the citizens... This makes a challenge for us to do a convincing terrain with enough eye-candy, because a thing you see in recent flightsims such as Lomac or IL-2, are the nice forests of trees. There is no forests in the Falklands. So, we have to resourt to extremely detailed textures for the (muddy) soil of the isles, and a good weather system, to make up for the lack of trees or other features covering the terrain. On the other hand, having very detailed ground textures is what gives a so good sense of speed in low flying. But don't worry, there'll be the Port Stanley trees, bushes everywhere, rocks, and in the continent, plenty of forests, as Argentina is not a treeless land. :)

Edited by Dante-JT

To be honest, I'm glad you're simulating a terrain that is treeless. As good as Il-2 and LOMAC are, they aren't perfect yet. You guys will be able to replicate the Falklands much more accurately. And if the only shrubbery is clumps of bushes, maxing out a huge amount of low poly bushes shouldn't be hard, and provide a great sense of speed.

Unfortunately, its gonna be much more important to have a high poly ground elevation map, so I hope your experimental system works as predicted.

About the dynamic campaign, will it be an ongoing war as in F4 or more of a mission based type as in most other sims?

About the dynamic campaign, will it be an ongoing war as in F4 or more of a mission based type as in most other sims?

As it was a small-scale conflict, with very clear territory dispute and small number of units on the battlefield, the plan is to aim for ongoing war like F4. But as we're still in the planning phase of the campaign system, we'll ask for input from the community for the best direction to follow (inside the limits of our small resources, of course. :)

That is certainly good news as I think this is one of the things that really makes F4 enjoyable. :)

As a programmer I do understand the problems of this approach rather than doing it missionwise. But it's not rocket science, so I don't really understand why no other sims has it. <_<